E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

I went for a drive on the lake today... pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
I went for a drive on the lake today... pics

I know there are a bunch of forum members here that are from So. Cal and other warm climates. They give the rest of us northern/midwest members an idea (jealousy) of what it is like to live in a temperate climate all the time. I.e., posting great looking pics of their cars by sandy beaches, palm trees, and scantily clad ladies.

I wanted to show all the temperate climate members a taste of the Northwoods of Wisconsin. I'm driving across the lake where my cabin is located. The ice is about 3 feet thick. You'll notice in the background all the fishing shacks. It was -9 degrees on Friday night here, but my diesel started and ran like a champion.

Why should you warm weather members be jealous about this? Where else can you do countless amounts of donuts, on a huge bed of ice, in a completely safe area? Enjoy.

Also note that I have added my new Depo/E55 Bixenon projectors. Thanks Raymond and Zam for your help.
Attached Thumbnails I went for a drive on the lake today... pics-dscn0461.jpg   I went for a drive on the lake today... pics-dscn0462.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E430, 2006 Escalade ESV
What does the badge on your car say? TurboDiesel XL?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 PM

W210 W140
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
What does the badge on your car say? TurboDiesel XL?
It says "Turbodiesel". The badging looks crooked/blurred because I had to downsize this photo to post it. I'm not technically savvy, so I just reduced it which can blur details.

Last edited by EdzBenz; 03-11-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
That looks really cool. Looks like it would be easy to clear a nice spot for outdoor ice skating. Equip those projector headlights with lasers and you can burn holes in the ice for fishing :-)
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
I may be from SoCal but I grew up in the upper midwest. Every spring the local newspaper would print pictures of a car with only the roof showing above the ice. As I recall they were mostly VW bugs which were pretty light. Glad to see you made it back to 'shore'.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM

MB
Dude, I'm from Southern California and I'm definitely jealous.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
It is beautiful!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM

It changes all the time
I'm not jealous, because my folks sold everything, left Ashland, Wisconsin when I was five, and headed to the SF Bay Area. Ashland is about as far north as you can get in the state without being in Canada. They got tired of eating out of the root cellar which by the way doubles as a safe haven during tornado season. They got tired of shoveling tons of snow and plowing roads all winter. Heck, you can't even bury your dead until Spring. If I want snow, I can be in Tahoe in a few hours and leave when I'm done playing. Within a few hours or less I can be enjoying the Pacific Ocean, Yosemite, white water rafting, Death Valley, hot air ballon rides, sky diving, or you name it. Gonna be 70 degrees again today. I'll probably take the top off my roadster for my birthday Sunday.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
What happened to your Exhaust pipes?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM

W210 W140
Originally Posted by hineywineries
I'm not jealous, because my folks sold everything, left Ashland, Wisconsin when I was five, and headed to the SF Bay Area. Ashland is about as far north as you can get in the state without being in Canada.
Wisconsin does not border Canada. Wisconsin's northern boarders are Minnesota and Michigan, which then border Canada.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 PM

W210 W140
Originally Posted by MG
That's a Brabus Exhaust.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Originally Posted by EdzBenz
That's a Brabus Exhaust.
ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM

It changes all the time
Originally Posted by EdzBenz
Wisconsin does not border Canada. Wisconsin's northern boarders are Minnesota and Michigan, which then border Canada.
If you read more carefully, I never said it bordered Canada. I said it was as far North as you could go without being in Canada. If you swam or took a boat from Ashland and headed North across Lake Superior, you would be in Canada.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:56 PM

W210 W140
If you read more carefully, I never said it bordered Canada. I said it was as far North as you could go without being in Canada. If you swam or took a boat from Ashland and headed North across Lake Superior, you would be in Canada.
I think I understand what you're saying. If I do understand correctly, then it would also mean that Hammond, OR is as far north as you can go in Oregon without being in Canada. You can take a boat from Hammond, OR to Canada. Am I correct?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:50 AM

It changes all the time
Not really, because you have another contiguos state between Oregon and Canada. It's called Washington.Eureka is about the farthest north in California, and you could take a boat to Canada by circumventing two states. If you head straight North from Ashland and cross a lake, you will be in Canada. There is a Bay in Ashland named by the Indians, I would guess the potowatamies, Called Shwamigan. My spelling is nowhere near the correct spelling. I only spelled it phonetically. If you saw the name on a sign, you would never guess the pronunciation unless a local pronounced it for you.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
<--- (Grew up in Canada - prairie)
<--- Living in SF Bay area

sometimes I miss home but when I see pix like this, heck no!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 PM

'01 W210 E320 CDI
EdzBenz; is that Brabus exhaust specifically made for a Diesel or did you 'just' install something under there? Overhere the only original Diesel sports exhausts I know of are for the ML 400CDI and such...

Last edited by Lancelot; 03-22-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 PM

W210 W140
Not really, because you have another contiguos state between Oregon and Canada. It's called Washington.Eureka is about the farthest north in California, and you could take a boat to Canada by circumventing two states. If you head straight North from Ashland and cross a lake, you will be in Canada. There is a Bay in Ashland named by the Indians, I would guess the potowatamies, Called Shwamigan. My spelling is nowhere near the correct spelling. I only spelled it phonetically. If you saw the name on a sign, you would never guess the pronunciation unless a local pronounced it for you.
Canada is north east of Ashland, WI. You have to circumvent either Minnesota and Michigan in order to get to Canada from Wisconsin. You're not avoiding any landmass of Minnesota or Michigan, but you are passing through its waters. Likewise, you can head north west of Oregon and end up in Canada. You do not have to avoid any landmass of Washington, but you do pass through its waters.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 PM

W210 W140
Originally Posted by Lancelot
EdzBenz; is that Brabus exhaust specifically made for a Diesel or did you 'just' install something under there? Overhere the only original Diesel sports exhausts I know of are for the ML 400CDI and such...
The Brabus muffler I installed is spec'd for an E420.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by MG
that looks like a brabus muffler
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM

It changes all the time
After looking at a blowup map, it appears that a bit of Wisconsin is still in the way to just boat across to Canada. I really wasn't into picking knits. I was just pointing out that my folks left the cold *** northern part of Wisconsin for better weather to enjoy life all months of the year. Admittedly we can't ice fish. I tried that once, and the ice rink manager threw me out. I will also admit that you do have one thing we don't have in California, and that would be the beautiful northern lights. We also don't have fire flies. We have silicon valley mosquitoes with LEDs.

Back to the original reason for this post, the wife says to me yesterday, " it's your birthday today so what do you want to do? The temp is in the mid 70s so do you want to take the top down on the roadster and go to Cache Creek and play the slots or do you want to drive down the coast to Carmel and Santa Cruz? We could take the CE which has chains and go up to the condo for a couple of days and play in the snow." I opted for Cache Creek and lost my ***. I lost $43.00, and she lost $25.00. Here are a couple of pics. You can do broodies on asphalt too.
Attached Thumbnails I went for a drive on the lake today... pics-sl320-002-large-.jpg   I went for a drive on the lake today... pics-sl320-005-large-.jpg  
Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM

It changes all the time
Notice the absence of snow in the pics. That's about 3 hours away. It's all in fun. Wisconsin is a great state. I'm proud to have been born there. Although California is probably one of the best states in the union for diverse activities and climates, it has one major drawback, and that is all the A holes who have been drawn to the state. I have driven in Europe and most of the states including Hawaii, and have only found the most discourteous drivers in California. If half the people would leave, it would be a great state.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e63 p30 estate
i can do donuts in the parking lot. bfd?

my friends in chicago told me about the nasty winter storm "LAST WEEK". after 3 years in Chicago, 4 years in Ann Arbor and 3 years in NYC, i hope to never see another inch of snow unless it's at a ski resort. ever.

while you poor saps in WI/IL/MN/OH/IN/MI were shoveling snow last week, i was cruising around on my bike and going top down in the snow.

you can have your ice fishing. really.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM

W210 W140
Originally Posted by TonyC
i can do donuts in the parking lot. bfd?

my friends in chicago told me about the nasty winter storm "LAST WEEK". after 3 years in Chicago, 4 years in Ann Arbor and 3 years in NYC, i hope to never see another inch of snow unless it's at a ski resort. ever.

while you poor saps in WI/IL/MN/OH/IN/MI were shoveling snow last week, i was cruising around on my bike and going top down in the snow.

you can have your ice fishing. really.
Did my original post sound malicious towards anyone? I really don't think it did. I began my post about how I get jealous about the temperate weather So Cal has. This was meant to be a fun post.

TonyC- You're a newbie. I would suggest establishing a sense of value to your posts on here before you start roasting on members. But then again, I'm just a poor sap from WI/IL so what do I know.

Obviously the thread has been taken to a different level given the name calling in the aforementioned post. I'm done with this thread.

Last edited by EdzBenz; 03-26-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM

It changes all the time
Hey Ed,
Lighten up. I don't think he meant any harm. I'm just disappointed that you got to nail him first. I was going to tell him that living in LA really isn't an upgrade. You have to live in Northern California. My oldest daughter lives in Redondo Beach which is in the LA basin. I keep trying to get her to move back up here and she keeps telling me that she doesn't trust AIR that she can't see.

The real hijackers of this thread are the MUFFLER BOYS. We can't keep a fun lovin pissin contest going about venue, without them constantly asking everyone what kind of muffler they have. Who cares? I'm at the age in life where I have more important things to ponder than what kind of muffler is on my car.

Take care,
Peter