E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Ignition/Key Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E 320
Ignition/Key Problem

So I have a 01 E 320 and lately i have had problems with starting the car. I'll put the key into the ignition and usually should hear a click and the steering wheel will unlock and you can start the car. I'll put they key in and no click and it wount let you turn they key into the next position. You have to play with the key and hopefully sooner than later itll accept the key and start. It has the same problem with either of the normal key or the spare one. I had this problem like six months ago and it stopped doing it so I figured the problem corrected itself but it looks like its back for good this time.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
No direct experience myself with this, but since nobody else has responded, perhaps try some of these posts. Looks like there are a lot for problems with key not turning.

Key won't turn
Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by MBDriver
So I have a 01 E 320 and lately i have had problems with starting the car. I'll put the key into the ignition and usually should hear a click and the steering wheel will unlock and you can start the car. I'll put they key in and no click and it wount let you turn they key into the next position. You have to play with the key and hopefully sooner than later itll accept the key and start. It has the same problem with either of the normal key or the spare one. I had this problem like six months ago and it stopped doing it so I figured the problem corrected itself but it looks like its back for good this time.
Most likely cause is bad EIS. Only the dealer can replace it due to key security.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by MBDriver
It's the EIS. Shop around, only authorized dealers or big Mercedes shop can do this, as it requires the StarDiag & reprograming the security system of the car. Also, some place allow refund of the green-key (require for reprogram the EIS), while other force you to to purchase it.

MB-Tech in Monterey Park replaced mine three months ago for around $540, I think. That's part + labor included. They charged me wholesale price for parts.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Have

you tried to polish the ir lens on the key?one drop of plastic polish or dvd repair polish and buff it with a clean polish cloth.
try that before going to have it diagnosed for a bad EIS
http://w210.pietrzyk.net/electrical_infrarem.htm
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 4matic & 2003 E320,
I have an EIS lockup problem myself. I searched and was able to get enough information on this forum to turn it over to the stealer for the repairs to be made. The service writer I spoke to seems like a good guy....professional too.... Anyway, the old keys wouldn't program to the new EIS, so, I am having to also purchase a new key at full retail price! Who ever heard of selling a new ignition switch to someone without a key! DANG! $1,500 thank you very much Jay M! I still think my daughter having a bunch of ***** hanging from the key ring did not help the longevity of the EIS with it being plastic. Thanks again everyone for good information on all the threads having to do with the key not turning in the ignition switch.

Jay m

Last edited by jay m; 04-22-2013 at 04:52 PM.