E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

OM606 question. Broken CCV part

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 S 550
OM606 question. Broken CCV part

While replacing the return lines on my injectors I broke the elbow that comes out of the back of the CCV (valve? The round thing under the false valve cover). Anyway, when it broke part of it fell inside the valve cover. I have two questions. 1. Can the car be driven with the CCV disconnected in this fashion? 2. Can/should it be driven with the small plastic part inside the valve cover? I'm guessing not, but if it is harmless it would save removing the valve cover and the injector lines to fetch it. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 AM

W210 W140
Take a photo of where the part fell off and then someone might be able to give you a better answer. Really, the only safe bet is to remove the broken piece in the valve cover and replace the elbow on the CCV. I never take anything to chance when it comes to my engine repairs.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
German
I wouldnt drive a car knowing there is a foreign object inside the engine.
And if it just takes the removal of the valve cover to locate, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by martz
I wouldnt drive a car knowing there is a foreign object inside the engine.
And if it just takes the removal of the valve cover to locate, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Not that easy, you have to remove all the injector lines to get them out out the way...

to the original poster.... I wouldn't drive it at all. worst case that plastic that broke off can break apart into smaller pieces and block an oil passage. catostrophic potential...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Been there, done that.

Most people are correct that it would be a bad idea to drive your car in this condition. I've faced this same issue. If you have one of the small retracting wire claw "grabby thingies" then you might be able to get the remaining rubber out of the valve cover tray without removal. Otherwise you will need to remove the injection lines (risking dust in the system, don't ask how I know), and play a game of fish-out-that-*&#^@(-piece of rubber.

There is a bright side here. You could leave it in. Yes the rubber will break down over time, but the place where it is located is totally enclosed. It really isn't going anywhere. In fact if you take the valve cover off, the tray which is holding the rubber remains of this elbow is RIVETED in place, argh.

Best choice is to remove the offending rubber so that you will sleep better at night.