E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

DIY fixed visor lamp!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430, Obsidian Black w. Ash/Orion Grey, 195,000 mi.
DIY fixed visor lamp!

The light that's supposed to on when you lift the mirror cover in the sun visor didn't work on the passenger side of my car. The bulb was ok so I figured it must be some electrical gremlin that I'd have to live with. Seen a couple of threads that suggest that this is a common problem.

Well, yesterday, I replaced the mirror/door assembly and found the switch that operates the lamp. I pried the switch housing open with a knife and sprayed electric contact cleaner inside, snapped it back together, put it back in the visor and installed the new mirror/door assembly into the visor. Reinstalled the visor in the car and the lamp now works when the mirror door is raised! Also nice to not have the mirror door fall off when my wife tries to use the mirror.

Fred
Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Mercedes E-class
Nice work!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by abhik681
Nice work!
HA! Easy fix.. thanks! I just ordered both driverside and passengerside mirrors

Armani
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Re: Mirrors

I have the same issue and have some questions. When I purchased my 320 both of the lamps and the flaps that cover the mirror were missing. I am assuming that the previous owner had a similar issue and tried to correct the issue but was unable to and unfortunately never put the flaps back on. Can you tell me where you found the lamps and the flap assembly etc... and any chance you could post a pic of where the switch is located? My car has been in the body shop receiving some minor cosmetic repairs and is ready for pick up. The visors are one of the few things left on my list to getting the car back to show room finish.

Originally Posted by fosmith
The light that's supposed to on when you lift the mirror cover in the sun visor didn't work on the passenger side of my car. The bulb was ok so I figured it must be some electrical gremlin that I'd have to live with. Seen a couple of threads that suggest that this is a common problem.

Well, yesterday, I replaced the mirror/door assembly and found the switch that operates the lamp. I pried the switch housing open with a knife and sprayed electric contact cleaner inside, snapped it back together, put it back in the visor and installed the new mirror/door assembly into the visor. Reinstalled the visor in the car and the lamp now works when the mirror door is raised! Also nice to not have the mirror door fall off when my wife tries to use the mirror.

Fred
Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by n2it
I have the same issue and have some questions. When I purchased my 320 both of the lamps and the flaps that cover the mirror were missing. I am assuming that the previous owner had a similar issue and tried to correct the issue but was unable to and unfortunately never put the flaps back on. Can you tell me where you found the lamps and the flap assembly etc... and any chance you could post a pic of where the switch is located? My car has been in the body shop receiving some minor cosmetic repairs and is ready for pick up. The visors are one of the few things left on my list to getting the car back to show room finish.
Hi, I don't have any photos to post but this is a pretty easy fix. The mirror and flap cover assembly can be purchased separately from the visor. Your flaps are missing because the little pins that form the hinges are inadequately designed and snap off after a few years of use. Shame on MB for this design!

The lamp that's supposed to light up when you lift the flap is located in the roof above the visor and I doubt that these are your problem. Go to the dealer and order the mirror flap assembly, part number A 210 810 25 10 plus the color code (7D84 for grey). Using a putty knife or wide screwdriver gently pry the frame around the mirror away from the visor and the assembly will pop out. This is easier if you remove the visor from the car. You will then see the wiring and switch, which is located behind the mirror and may be stuck to the back of the mirror. Carefully note the position of the switch and wiring and unplug the switch from the wires for inspection, disassembly and cleaning. Reposition the switch and pop the new mirror assembly back into the visor and you should be in business! If you want the original look, you can order the airbag warning stickers that go on the outside of the flaps from the dealer too.

Good luck!
Fred
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Thanks for the info...I found a rather good picture of the switch and its location on BenzWorld. I appreciate the part number as I was trying to find it online without much success. Will let you know how it goes...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the info...I found a rather good picture of the switch and its location on BenzWorld. I appreciate the part number as I was trying to find it online without much success. Will let you know how it goes...
The dealer first told me that I would have to purchase the entire visor until I provided the part number... So don't let them tell you that.

Fred
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM

2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon & 1993 Toyota Camry
Been there, done that! I used something like alcohol, IIRC, but with the same results. It's nice isn't it!

I also know that Radio Shack sells a switch for about $3 that is a plug & play replacement for the one mentioned. Seriously!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 AM

E430 Estate
Saved a fortune

Hi,
I tried to get the vanity light fixed whilst on holiday in France. I was quoted around €250 ... the dealer said that both visors should be replaced!
Back home I did as you said... it took 15 minutes and apart from breaking the glass, all was well.
The original glass is 2mm thick. I found that easy-to-obtain 3mm glass fits fine.. but you need to put a safety backing on it. I used brown parcel tape and it all clicked back into place. The replacement glass cost me €3.

Re. getting the frame out. A putty knife seems the best, starting with the top about a third of the way in from the corner. Once one side is free then do the same with the other side.
The micro switch is easy to remove.. the wires detach with a light pull. I sprayed the inside with switch cleaner once I had opened the switch enough to take out the button on top. I did not find it necessary to disassemble the entire switch and if I had I would expect some problems in "clicking" it all back together.
So, it cost me just €3 .. because I was rough in re-assembling the system.

You need to be careful in levering open the frame.. you could score the plastic surround. A broad, flat blade is needed. A screwdriver is probably too severe.. the putty knife is ideal. Be very careful not to break the plastic clips..lever gently and progressively, working from the centre towards the corner. If the tiny plastic pins should break on the cover you can probably repair them by inserting a small screw through the hole.. and it will be better than the Mercedes original too!
So, thanks for the advice.....saved me a lot of money. I am surprised Mercedes does not try to shut this site down!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
The switch is also available from any electronic store (Radio Shack). One of my flaps is broken and so to preserve the look of the car I've just stuck it to the mirror with Blutak.

But I've just sen a fix on another forum where a guy used small metal rod (heated to red hot) inserted into each end of the flap to fix the hinges which are what usually break.