E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Thinking about buying a 2002 e-class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Civic
Thinking about buying a 2002 e-class

I recently got a job as a valet. I have driven plenty of fancy cars, such as Mercedes, bmw, maserati, porsche, etc... MB is my favorite to drive actually. I was surprised at how affordable a used one can be.

I found a 2002 MB e-class E320 for 6,900. It has 150k on it. The carfax history checks out well. It also passed inspection just last month. The car comes with a 5k warranty. I dont plan on killing the car with miles. I have a 20 minute, highway commute to work. I dont go far, relatively speaking socially.

Does this seem like a good deal? It almost seems too good to be true. If the test drive goes ok I plan on buying. Just a few (dumb) questions.

-Does the sun roof open up, or is it just a window?
-How concerned should I be about the mileage?
-How big is the fuel tank?
-The site did not list a cd player. I can't imagine an 02 Benz doesn't have one.
-I heard (from an unreliable source) that you have to put premium gas in it. Is that true? Sounds like bs to me, but I need to be sure.
-Anything else you may have to say would be greatly appreciated. I am 22, and have never bought a car before. My sister let me take over payments on her Honda when I was 16, other than that, I have no car buying experience.

Last edited by frogskinshoelac; 03-31-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:12 AM

2012 ML63 with P30 package
Originally Posted by frogskinshoelac
I recently got a job as a valet. I have driven plenty of fancy cars, such as Mercedes, bmw, maserati, porsche, etc... MB is my favorite to drive actually. I was surprised at how affordable a used one can be.

I found a 2002 MB e-class E320 for 6,900. It has 150k on it. The carfax history checks out well. It also passed inspection just last month. The car comes with a 5k warranty. I dont plan on killing the car with miles. I have a 20 minute, highway commute to work. I dont go far, relatively speaking socially.

Does this seem like a good deal? It almost seems too good to be true. If the test drive goes ok I plan on buying. Just a few (dumb) questions.

-The site did not list a cd player. I can't imagine an 02 Benz doesn't have one.
-I heard (from an unreliable source) that you have to put premium gas in it. Is that true? Sounds like bs to me, but I need to be sure.
-Anything else you may have to say would be greatly appreciated. I am 22, and have never bought a car before. My sister let me take over payments on her Honda when I was 16, other than that, I have no car buying experience.
There's a switch to open the roof by the rear view mirror.
I bought my 2001 E430 in January with 145k. Have it checked out by a MB professional.
My car holds 17 gallons I believe.
The car should have a cd changer in the trunk.
Premium is highly recommended. I personally use mid-grade from shell. Haven't had any problems.
Make sure you can afford to maintain it. I'm a mechanic and an oil change costs me $90 in parts alone.

Other then that, I love my car like no other. This is my second Mercedes
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM

1999 E320 1971 280SL
Check www.kbb.com for fair value in your area.

Plan on spending some $ for repairs. Read the sticky to get an idea of what may lie ahead for you

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ues-index.html
Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
KBB

is a total joke. That is what dealers use to fleece a chump.
never use nada or kbb.
Ever

buying an 02 from a used car dealer? with 5000mile warranty for 6900?
RRun
price is right/car is a hoopdie

look around some more
and whatever you do don't take anyone's word it passed inspection
Get a ppi.
inspect,inspect,inspect
Rust,suspension,transmission,rear diff.

Where are you located?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 PM

2001 E320 4matic wagon and 2000 E320 sedan
Originally Posted by frogskinshoelac

I looked for two years before I bought my E320. As Ohlord says"inspect first"as there are so many things to take into consideration.
Additionally, I would say to your other questions:
Only burn Premium gas. The engine is designed for it. The tank holds 21.1 gallons including a 2.6 gallon reserve.
It may or may not have a CD player. It may or may not be a BOSE system but, I think, if it has a sunroof "package" it comes also with Bose and rain sensing wipers.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:31 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
The price is about right but believe it or not there is definitely some negotiating room left. Car Fax is worthless as it only tells you those things that have actually been recorded and usually that only occurs if it has been serviced by a dealer. Many issues such as repairs by indy shops or wrecks that were never reported to an insurance company will never appear on the Car Fax. KBB, as ohlord stated, is not an accurate indicator of value. But you can use it, NADA, and Edmonds together to get an average value (always use private sale when calculating value). Always use premium fuel or you are begging for engine problems. My tank holds 21.1 gallons. The sunroof should operate as well. Before I purchased my E-class, I researched the heck out of this board as well as a few others. I learned what to look for and then went shopping. I got very lucky with my purchase but had I not taken the time to educate myself, I could have made a huge mistake. And I am still learning. Good luck!

Last edited by n2it; 03-31-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Yes a good price...but based on the mileage, you could do better.