E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Ski mount (rack) needed or Yakima info please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski mount (rack) needed or Yakima info please!

(x-post from Benzworld)

Hello,

I have an '00 W210 wagon that I'm about to take skiiing for the first time (car, not me) on 2/28. I DO have factory crossbars, which I expect would provide me with a more cheap and elegant solution than buying new Thule or Yakima crossbars, but I could be wrong. My objective is to carry up to four pairs of skis or 2 plus 2 snowboards (I have a son coming, and well, you know, snowboarding is much more "cool"...today.)

Does anyone have something gathering dust in the garage that they would like to sell me? Email would be great.

Or if you love it and want to keep it, can you tell me exactly what you bought?

Does anyone have any insight about the Yakima V-series (V) "vertical" MightyMounts? I know that one of their 20+ models must fit our cars. Since they're an '08 product at the latest, all of their application info has evaporated from the web.

Thanks!
Chuck
Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
Chuck,
I use the Q-Tower system on my car. I had this system before for my bikes and decided I wanted to carry some skis this winter. I bought the Powderhound system. Theres also the Big Powderhound, but I only needed the small version because I usually just transport one or two pair of skis. You'll need the bigger version.
It seemed like this system had a pretty universal mounting system. I.e, it will mount to cross bars that are round or somewhat ovalized. My guess is the bigger version mounts the same way.
Back in the day I used to work at a custom bike shop that sold these systems. The shop sells via mail order and to walk in customers. Prices are very competitive and the managers are knowledgeable. www.lickbike.com. Call their 800 # and ask for Bill.