E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

OEM Factory headlamp conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
OEM Factory headlamp conversion

I know questions re: new headlamps have come before. I would like to ask again. I wish to convert my factory OEM Xenons to the newer W211 style headlamp. I have seen headlamps already set up with xenon kits for 399$ on Ebay but would like to use as much of my original setup as I can while using the newer style reflectors and of course the newer lense covers. I know my ballasts are good as are the 4300K bulbs. What components should I being looking for and brand? Thanks for any help offered. I am in Pittsburgh,PA.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
For the critical components which affect beam precision and quality, I can only
recommend OEM parts. In this case, the projector, ballast, and bulb sporting
OEM names are paramount. Since I believe that it's impossible to buy those
three parts assembled for your car (which I'm presuming is 210 E320), I can't
recommend that you buy *any* of the ones being offered. It is my belief that
they are all halogen projectors with bassardized D2S bulbs fitted onto H7 bases.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since lighting in these cars is new to me I am not certain which piece is the projector? Is it the metal shroud that partially covers the actual bulb or the shaped plexiglass in front of the bulb? I have completely disassembled one side to see how it is made. Also this is for a 2003 W/S210 E320 wagon with the xenon headlamp/washer option. The bulbs are high -GE H7 55watt 58520lu Hungary pressurized lamp C and low - Osram Xenarc D2R 35watt 66050 Germany 4203 668789 E1 03X DOT q2t3. I did check the Hella website since this is their unit and they say any xenon retro kit is illegal especially those sold on the internet. They must be a complete unit and then tested as such and passed by DOT and stamped DOT approved. I am still wondering what the difference is with the W211 units and those sold as W210 aftermarket housings since the reflectors look so similar?Is there a best thread to read on this? I searched the archives and it does get confusing.

Last edited by ejsheltra; 02-21-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
It is

confusticating
I will simplify.Leave your factory xenons alone.
They are worth a lot of money on the used market.
If you want to get the new look(projector style) search the posts for depo conversions.Then look at the cost to do it,and see why you leave your xenons alone.
They won't light the road as well as your current factory option xenons do,but they will look more modern.
If you want more light install the H7 65watt rally bulbs into the high beams
www.danielsternlighting.com
Also while you are there read all his tech papers on why conversions are bad news.Not the legal aspect(who cares?does anyone think cops are driving around looking for DOT stamps?) read it for the science behind good lighting.
Now you should be less confused
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok. I read his entire website for a couple of hours including all related links. Thanks, it is an eye opener. This is what I deduced in consideration of what I and many others, I believe are trying to accomplish. All current projector housings, like the Depo projector unit, for sale for the W210 are specifically designed for use ONLY with a halogen low beam and high beam light source. Any modification of this housing to accept an HID set up whether MB OEM or aftermarket is illegal. It is not designed to properly focus the different type and intensity of light source emitted from a xenon arc system. All of this is now clear. Again thank you. Since I have not looked closely at a W211 xenon setup and only instead at pictures, the projector style appears very similar to the aftermarket brands like the Depo unit. I have not contacted D. Stern as of yet but to the best of your knowledge are there any manufacturers of a projector lens system designed for a xenon arc system that can be used in an originally equipped xenon car specifically for the W210 body? I ask because of all the posts I have read so far it looks as if none of the posters have safely, legally and correctly retrofitted a projector housing for use with a xenon bulb for the W210 body. Unless I missed one. If all of the above is correct then I will try to repolish and use my existing lens and housing system. My apologies for the long windedness of this but it seems like alot of good MB folks could be seriously hurt by this fraud or worse kill themselves or others.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
yes, what you've concluded is technically accurate. but even so, there are
ways to get the 211 clear lens look relatively safely. heck, even the suggested
outer lens polish and rallye bulb solution is illegal to a degree. I'm quite certain
that the use of the 65 watt bulb is illegal in the majority of the 50 states. the
limit is 50 watts...or at least, was at one point.

other legal options (increasing order of cost):

- replacing the circular lens in the Depo projector with a Hella lens. the Depo
bowl design is still poor but will get a slight boost through the Hella glass lens

- buying the Depo and replacing their trashy 90mm and replacing with a Hella
halogen H7 projector of much better design

- you can try retrofitting in the 211 projector into the Depo housing for 210

.....followed by (and arguably, illegal)

- inserting higher wattage H7 bulbs

- opening up the Depo and dropping in an MB E55 (or comparable Maxima)
or Audi RS6 HID projector... plus ballast/bulb

All of the above will provide reasonable, acceptable, and even high quality
beam precision
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 e55
Dumb Question - has anyone tried just blacking the lights out much like the tail light? That way it gives it a modern look and you dont even have to deal with the yellowing lights etc.

Is that impractical with xenons?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 E220T CDI Avantgarde, 2002 E55T AMG
you mean coating the lens with a black-like paint?

That would look awful if you ask me, and your light output will be crappier than ever before..

If you mean painting the reflectors with high gloss black, I don't think that would look very good on the OEM headlights. And for the beam pattern, I don't think it would be a good idea...........
Old 02-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 e55
I meant more like getting a snoke lense similar to the rears or a film that has minimal light reduction
Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 E220T CDI Avantgarde, 2002 E55T AMG
I still think it would look like crap.. but that is my opinion...

With projection or clean reflection headlights it might work, but with refraction headlights I don't think it will.

And still it will limit the light output more than you would want. just try driving around with a layer of hardly visible dirt on your headlights, then clean them. You will see a noticeable difference in distance.