E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Stuck Hood Latch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Hood Latch

Went to open the hood yesterday on my 98 E430. The left (Driver's) side released as usual but the right side didn't move. I've tried to re-latch the left side and it won't catch. I've tried pulling the T-handle out of the grille but that doesn't help. I've bounced and rattled the hood while having someone wiggle the cable from the cabin. I've also taken the cabin-end of the cable in some pliers and pulling hard, but no change.

I think I'm going to have to go in from underneath to manually release. Anyone had to do this? Anything else I should try first?

Curtis
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
put a cushion on the

hood so you don't dent it and push down while someone pulls the hood release.Works most of the time.I was wet sanding the clear coat on the v8 wagon and had the hood propped up with a plastic tray and the hood slammed down and of all things odd the latch engaged the plastic tray and locked in place
Now that was a real problem.

Search the forum for the post about the guy that had your problem and thought he might need to remove the whole front end
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM

I'll give it another shot, but got fairly aggressive with it already.

What happens if this doesn't work?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Ok. Spent most of the weekend on this and finally got it resolved this morning.

The Mercedes mechanics I spoke with said the only way to open up a hood with a broken cable is to break out the grill and reach in. I didn't like that approach.

I could get the left side open enough to barely remove the headlamp unit. From there I could pull the right side of the cable. There was no resistance so I knew the latch was either broken or the cable disconnected.

From there, I could just reach the screws on the back of the grill to remove it without breaking it out. But, even with the grill out, I couldn't reach the back of the latch. I tried cutting out the air intake tube but was not successful in removing it from the front. Even if I had, I'm not sure I would've had enough room.

So, I pulled the front pan off and could just reach the backside of the latch by working around the headlamp housing. Once there, I could pop the latch from the backside.

The entire problem looks like it was caused by the end of the cable popping out of the latch retainer. I put it back in and squeezed the retainer closed a little tighter and all is well.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM

2000 S500
any pix?...my 2000 S500 rt sde won't release..
Old 12-13-2014, 09:35 AM

2003 CL 600
2003 CL600 hood locked permanently

Hello every one, I have a 2003 CL 600 and recently, I locked
the hood permanently after removing and reinstalling left and right side hood locks. I forgot to tighten the cable before shutting the food . I have the cooling fan removed and sitting in the trunk; Would it be possible to reach from below to the locks and remove the bolts on hood locks? It is possible to remove bolts on hood locks manually as I had left them very loose. But it is very hard for me to lift the car high enough since it is parked in parking lot. Besides reaching the hood locks from underneath the vehicle, would there be any other option left for me? It has been a month now and car has completely sunk to the ground with the wheels touching the body. I was suppose to tow it today to the garage, but the tow guy told me not to take any chance as I will break some plastic panels or bumper. Can someone please help as I am very confused and not sure what to do.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Start here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ken-cable.html

Per reitmeid for a stuck passenger side latch:
- Remove right front wheel.
- Remove front half of plastic fender liner.
- Remove 2 nuts and 2 bolts holding the oil cooler/fan assy. and then pull it back towards the wheel hub and tie it up with wire or cord to get it out of your way.
- Remove the frontmost section of the plastic lower engine cover.
- Get on your back and look up with a light where the passenger side stud lock is approximately.
- You will see a black plasic cover about 2x3 inches.
- Reach up and wiggle it off.
- You will now see a very pleasant sight....the mechanism.
- Get a very long flatblade screwdriver and push the normally cable operated lever over until it releases. I got mine to pop in about 10 seconds.