E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Knockig sound under the car when turning steering, holding brakes and gear in D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E280 1998
Knockig sound under the car when turning steering, holding brakes and gear in D

Hi everyone,
I have recently had a problem with my car, cranking but not starting, which turned out to be the fuel pump.

After replacing the fuel pump, only two days ago, today i started hearing a knocking sound coming from under the car, most probably from the middle right side or may be just the middle of the car...cann't exactly tell.

I can only hear this sound when I am stopping the car, in a traffic light or so, while the gear is in D. After getting home, just now, parked the car, trying to get a clear listen to the sound, I was only able to get the the hand brakes on, shift on D and tuning the steering. Left it as it is, in the D condition with the hand brakes on and the knocking sound, I had a turn around the car trying to find out where the sound is coming from, but couldn't really tell. As mentioned above, may be from the middle of the car at the bottom.

Any ideas?!

Thanks a lot
Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 AM

E280 1998
Solved

Silly, but may be good to know...

I found out that when the MB mechanic changed the fuel pump, he did not fix the bottom cover properly, so it is oscillating and hitting the bottom causing this sound.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I was too happy when I was able to reach out under the car and hold this cover and the sound vanished

Last edited by sammouhali; 10-03-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 PM

99' E320 4MATIC ESTATE / 92' 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by sammouhali
Silly, but may be good to know...

I found out that when the MB mechanic changed the fuel pump, he did not fixed the bottom cover properly, so it is oscillating and hitting the bottom causing this sound.

I was to happy when I was able to reach out under the car and hold this cover and the sound vanished
Fletcher Jones/stealership/ would have charged $400.00 usd for labor/$300.00 usd in parts/1 pan head sheet metal screw/ and you would have received a complimentary car wash 2 hrs and 30 minutes after arriving...nice work!
Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 AM

E280 1998
Smile

Originally Posted by SLOPESTAR
Fletcher Jones/stealership/ would have charged $400.00 usd for labor/$300.00 usd in parts/1 pan head sheet metal screw/ and you would have received a complimentary car wash 2 hrs and 30 minutes after arriving...nice work!
Thanks a lot; hearing this sound, before finding out what it was, made me think that some real bucks are about to escape my wallet, especially that I have recently, within a month, changed the AC blower motor resistor, AC control unit and the fuel pump. So when I heard this annoying sound I started thinking that my car is too old and that she will start complaining on a daily basis

This is what encouraged me to go under the car and find out about this cover and become a happy MB owner again