E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need suspension advice/tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need suspension advice/tires

Hi guys,

Recently i have been unhappy with my suspension. Currently i have H&R sport springs and bilstein sport shocks/camber arms, with spring pad #1 front and #4 rear.
When i first replaced my worn stock suspension with 90k and put on the h&r and bilstein shocks i was amazed as to how comfortable and better handling the shocks and springs were compared to the stock shot ones.
Well recently i have been analyzing the ride quality and i just dont feel comfortable anymore.Not sure if there is something wrong with the shocks, i have put approx 20k on this setup. I live in the north east and all the roads here are shot. Every 10 feet there is lumps, pot holes or something wrong with the road.

Recently i have switched over to my stock 16 inch wheels for the winter. The ride improved slightly over the 18's but i am not happy right now with the ride quality. For tires i have some cheapo goodyear eagle gph tires from sam's club that came with the car when i bought it. Tires were fairly new, thats why i never changed them. However i find them very dangerous in the rain, slip like nothing.

So i was debating on going back to a "stock" comfort setup with my shocks and springs, or switching up my tires to something with a good name and reputation. I am just not sure how much a of difference changing tires would make in ride quality vs's shocks, springs. I am also considering changing tires for my 18inch summer wheels. I have extreme summer tires on them and i was thinking about getting something more comfortable, and longer lasting in hopes to get a better ride, yet still keep the handling aspect of the suspension setup.

Thanks guys, any thoughts' comments is appreciated.

Last edited by nsupra; 11-26-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430
Don't discount the impact a quality set of tires can make. It's likely not the suspension.

Cold temps and summer tires are not a good combo. They tend to harden a bit and can make the ride harsh. All seasons are better, but if you're in the North East, you make want to see what works for your locale. Check tirerack.

Out here on the West coast, we are fortunate to use summer tires year round and the ride quality doesn't vary much based on the temps. I'm currently running Pirelli Pzero Nero all seasons on the benz, while the other car has Michelin PS2.

Good luck,