E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bi-Polar Benz - camshaft or crankshaft position sensor???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e550 sport 4matic
Exclamation Bi-Polar Benz - camshaft or crankshaft position sensor???

I was so glad to find other people having my same problem with their Benz's but now after reading countless threads I am confused as to which sensor I need to replace.

I have a 2000 e430 with 105K miles. Car runs flawlessly except for an intermittent problem that started a month ago where the car would not start while hot, say after running errands, but later starting up just fine when cold or cooler. The car would just crank and crank and crank as if it was not getting any gas. The problem seems to now be worsening since the car has shut down while driving twice at very low speeds such as leaving a stop light. Again once cool and later, the car starts as if there has never been a problem.

The strange part is that neither my Check Engine light nor any other dash indicator has been triggered by this problem and my bi-polar Benz seems to either run great - or not at all.

Many threads discuss camshaft and crankshaft sensors (sometimes interchangeably which I think is incorrect) and the more I read the more I am confused as to which one is. My thoughts at first were to replace the camshaft sensor but now I am thinking the crankshaft position sensor might be the best place to start since I have read that they seem to fail when hot. Any help/guidance is extremely appreciated!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Two completely different

sensors two completely different functions.
I would go into both but will cut to the chase. CPS crankshaft often shows no code till complete failure and yours is heading towards stranding you
Located on the bell housing above the trans rear drivers side engine.
Diy on www.benzworld.org w210 diy section
and on www.peachparts.com resource section diy articles.
Part at www.autohausaz.com
cheap
get to it

tip use the full up position hood release tab and make some extra working room for yourself
Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Very common problem with Mercedes, since they all use crappy CPS from Bosch.

It's the Crankshaft Position Sensor, you can get it for around $40 from Autohausaz . Dealer charge arm and leg for it, couple hundred bucks at least

You can replace it yourself, or pay an Indy shop $50 or so for the work. The sensor locate on corner top of the flywheel housing

Originally Posted by kickinitin703
I was so glad to find other people having my same problem with their Benz's but now after reading countless threads I am confused as to which sensor I need to replace.

I have a 2000 e430 with 105K miles. Car runs flawlessly except for an intermittent problem that started a month ago where the car would not start while hot, say after running errands, but later starting up just fine when cold or cooler. The car would just crank and crank and crank as if it was not getting any gas. The problem seems to now be worsening since the car has shut down while driving twice at very low speeds such as leaving a stop light. Again once cool and later, the car starts as if there has never been a problem.

The strange part is that neither my Check Engine light nor any other dash indicator has been triggered by this problem and my bi-polar Benz seems to either run great - or not at all.

Many threads discuss camshaft and crankshaft sensors (sometimes interchangeably which I think is incorrect) and the more I read the more I am confused as to which one is. My thoughts at first were to replace the camshaft sensor but now I am thinking the crankshaft position sensor might be the best place to start since I have read that they seem to fail when hot. Any help/guidance is extremely appreciated!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM

E 320
CPS

My E320 did the same thing. Thanks to this forum i was able to buy a Crankshaft Position Sensor from Rockauto.com, installed it myself, very easy, and I have not had another problem like that again.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:22 AM

Mercedes-Benz E430 Sport
i have the same issue on my e430 and i just bought a cps hopefully it will solve this i will let you know today