E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Contemplating '02 E320 Wagon Purchase; Service History

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 PM
axr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi a4
Contemplating '02 E320 Wagon Purchase; Service History

First time poster and apologize in advance for the long posting.

Am ending my Audi A4 lease and contemplating purchasing a 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon to accommodate a new addition to my family! This vehicle is fully loaded and appears to be in impeccable condition both aesthetically and mechanically. It has 89.4K miles with silver/black leather interior. Everything internally is working fine (seats, mirrors, windows, sun roof, wipers, etc., etc.) and the Autocheck report (CarFax equivalent) has come up roses. The private dealer is asking $11.9K but will offer him $10K to start the negotiation.

I have trolled some of the previous posts on the forum for what to be on the lookout for with an E320 Wagon and it appears that I might be on the right side of the tracks with this vehicle. However, there are no MB service records accompanying this vehicle and I would like to know if there is a way to access the service history using the VIN number at a local MB dealership or through a database for a fee? I feel good about the condition of the car but fear that since it's at 90K miles the next service could be costly if the previous owners did not take proper care of the vehicle.

Any insights, comments, advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
axr
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
If you give me the VIN, I can run a Carfax report for you -- might contain more/other than Autocheck? I have about 1 week more on the "unlimited" account I bought on their site, when I really only needed 1 report -- turned out in the fine print (wch, naturally, I did not read) that it was unlimited but only for 2 months!

I imagine other responses will tell you to get the car inspected carefully by an indie mechanic you trust. If you edit your CP to indicate where you live, you may get some recommendations of trustworthy shops.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
I would be very cautious of a MB without service records even if it is cosmetically nice. Private dealers tend to spend money on detailing instead of mechanical repair. Not all but more than a few. Unfavorable service records have a way of 'disappearing' during the detailing process.

If the car had a long term MB service contract like a CPO, then there may be information in the MVI (Master Vehicle Inquiry) on warranty repairs. Ordinary services such as oil changes, brake jobs, etc. usually don't show up. MB dealers will usually provide that (MVI) for owners but you'll have to find one in a good mood if you're a prospective owner.

There are a lot of W210 wagons out there. You didn't marry the first person you had a date with did you? I would look until I found one with fairly complete service records and I could speak to the previous owner (> 2 years).

Find the right one and I'm sure you'll be happy. They're a great car.

Good luck.

Last edited by RichardM98; 12-29-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 AM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
Sound advice -- but sometimes one just falls for a car, and that is it!

Right, axr??

*Do* have it *thoroughly* inspected by a trustworthy indie Mercedes repair shop -- before making an offer. If the dealer won't allow that, you really do have to walk away from the car.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 AM

N/A
I think this was implied in Richard's post, but you might try to figure out the origination of the car (i.e., do a little detective work). Call that dealership service department and see whether or not the car was serviced there. You don't necessarily have to disclose that you are a prospective buyer. Say something to the effect, "I'm trying to establish a service history for this vehicle to see what needs to be done at the present time." I have done this with several cars--Mercedes and VW--and have had good luck. Also, Google the VIN (if you haven't already). You'd be surprised what might show up! Good luck!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 AM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
The autocheck report should show ownership history; certainly a carfax does -- not the owner him/herself, but the dealership where bought. Whether leased. How long owned for each owner, etc. There should be reports of dealer service along the way as well, and they will identify the dealer -- hence tell you where the car lived.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Here's a free Vin Check site:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

For theft and fraud issues only.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
If the car was dealer serviced you may see some service information in Carfax. If an indy serviced it, then you are out of luck.

If you cannot determine with any certainty the engine oil was changed ontime and with the correct synthetic, then I would suggest passing on this car. The FSS gives very long intervals between service, but requires an MB approved synthetic be used (e.g. Mobil 1 0W-40). If conventional oil is used for the long interval the engine gets sludged or worse.

Brake fluid and coolant are to be changed at 2yr and 3yr intervals, respectively. If not performed, then you are at higher risk of corrosion within these systems, and corresponding repairs.

It's tough to comment on the asking price - I take record-less cars out of consideration. I think they have it pretty much at blue book, which is too high for a car with no service history. (I've been looking at prices, as I recently listed my 2001 wagon for sale ...)
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by axr
I would like to know if there is a way to access the service history using the VIN number at a local MB dealership or through a database for a fee?
Only at the dealership that actually performed the maintenance.

There is no national database for this.

Personally I'd take the car to a Mercedes dealer and have them perform a PPI (pre-purchase inspection). Suggest at the time that they run a VMI (vehicle master inquiry) which will list all the recalls/campaigns performed and any items fixed under warranty. Again, this isn't the oil changes.

Since you express concern about lack of service records, it must mean you intend to keep them should you purchase the car, and while at the dealer for the PPI, then, it shouldn't be difficult to suggest you'll be coming back for regular service should the vehicle check out and you are able to work the deal to purchase it. This may "inspire" the service folks to help you especially well.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
"Purchasing a Used Mercedes Benz" -- that would make quite a useful sticky, I think.

I notice, btw, that axr hasn't returned. Perhaps, as my speculation above intimated, he has fallen in love with this car -- something I imagine we've all done one or more times!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 PM

N/A
The FSS does permit what I consider very long intervals between oil changes. Personally, I would never run more than 5K to 7.5K without an oil change--even on Mobil-1. If I were looking to go longer, I would only do so after first having an oil analysis done.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM
axr

audi a4
Thanks to everyone that has provided feedback, comments and advice. I will be making an offer on this vehicle on Saturday and plan to have it inspected by my local MB dealership where I will have them do a PPI and look into the VMI. This inspection will be the final word. If anything does not check out during this inspection, I will return the vehicle for a complete refund.

axr
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 PM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
Good luck! I hope you make a good deal and that the car comes thru the PPI w/ flying colors.

IMO, the E series 4matic wagon is an extraordinary car. But, no matter what you pay or learn via inspection, you should expect to spend some money the first year bringing it up to snuff.