E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bosch Platnium+4 and Gap size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E430
Bosch Platnium+4 and Gap size

I was wondering if anyone know what the correct gap size for a E430 V8 using Platnium +4 Part # 4418? Stock ignition system.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:47 AM

'96 E-320
It's not possible to gap the +4 plugs, as they already pregapped at the factory, and there're four ground electrodes, I replaced the stock BERU ULTRA 3 weeks ago and the car is running more smoothly.
Regards,
Old 03-20-2003, 02:12 PM

98 E430
thanks for the info.

Is there a special socket you use to get the plugs out? I can't really tell, but it seems like it's has a very tight space.

Also, is there a spcial tool to get those metal boots off? I have a really hard time getting them off. So far I am only able to get one off
Old 03-21-2003, 01:43 PM

98 E430
I just got off the phone from a mercedes shop. The guy there said the OE plugs are made of silver, and it cost more per plug than the platnium 4+. He also mention that on BMW, they bog using the platnium.

Any comments on this??
Old 03-26-2003, 05:59 PM

'96 E-320
Sorry for the delay in reply!
you need a 14 mm plugs socket (ratchet), it's usually comes with a magnet so you can pull the plug, otherwise use a tweezer.
you have to use force to pull the rubber socket, you shold hear a clicking sound when it's fully unplugged, but remember to blow away any dust or debris around the plugs.

The Silver-tipped plugs suppose to be cheaper since Silver is cheaper than Platinum, anyhow the MB dealer would normally charge you more than the aftermarket retailer, I can't recommend wether to use them or not, since I'm so far happy with the +4.
Beru makes one called ULTRA X, basicly it's identical to +4 but doesn't contain Platinum or the other precious metals.

Regards,
Old 03-27-2003, 03:15 AM

98 E430
OMG, the wires are the hardest to pull, EVER! Especially the driver side, near the tranmission. I literally had to kneel on top of the engine to remove the last three. Just so some of you know, remove the last two coil from that side to get a better access to the end wires.

I was struggling with the last 3 wires for almost 1 hour....never again. As I got a new set of high-performance wire set from Magnecor. 10x easier to pull off than those stock ones.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
if u ask me +4 sucks bad buttox!!! i had them for 20 min and it felt like it lost 2000000000 HP. no pick up at all. i tookt hem out a week later. now i have OEM plugs. wow soo much difference. ic an peel out now.

wires are stuck on for a reason sir..so they dont come off the plugs when u drive

also, it take a experience persont o pull the wire out in a couple minuets...for example..my alst plug always hardst to pull out..i try and try for 30 minuets. scorchie comes and pulls it out in 5 seconds.
that is what i call experience

Last edited by tpliquid; 04-02-2003 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Plugs

I put Bosch +4 in my E320 M104 inline 6 and had a noticable power loss. I went back to the OEM Super Copper plugs (Bosch F8DC4) and gapped them to .032 and saved money too. The +4s are $3 to $5 bucks where the Super Coppers are $1 to $2. There is a noticable power difference between the 2 plugs. So what if I have to change the copper plugs sooner. The Platinums are just for long life and +4s may help with engines that burn a lot of oil but I don't need either of those. The plugs are easy to get to on the inline 6 so I would much rather change them sooner and have more power.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:10 PM

'96 E-320
E-Klass, how did you know that you lost power with the +4 whereas the fact is that you don't gain any, but the engine runs smoother with less fuel consumption.
if you want to know wether you gained or lost power you need a dynometer to measure the bhp exactly.

Regards,
Old 04-06-2003, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by COOL-E
E-Klass, how did you know that you lost power with the +4 whereas the fact is that you don't gain any, but the engine runs smoother with less fuel consumption.
if you want to know wether you gained or lost power you need a dynometer to measure the bhp exactly.

Regards,
Several people I know have installed +4 plugs and have noticed a power loss (without using a dynomometer).

It's pretty apparent when the car does not run smoothly or misses. No dynamometer runs to test that one.

In one case, we did test with an accelerometer and the car did in fact lose about 0.3 seconds 0-60, consistently.

Just curious, do you believe that the spark on the +4 actually originates from all four electrodes simultaneously? From what I know about physics, this would not be the case. I wonder what reasoning has been proposed to indicate that the spark ignites on all four at once? If you know, please explain... I'd like to learn!

-s-
Old 04-07-2003, 03:25 PM

98 E430
I guess I'm going to stay away from the +4 from Bosch.

What about the Denso/NGK Iridium plugs?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:32 PM

'96 E-320
You can check out some testimonials available on the Net, but the fact is that the spark chooses one of the four ground electrodes for optimum performance, so there'd be less misfire and hesitation, besides the reduction of fuel consumption.

Regards,
Old 04-07-2003, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Angry Plugs

The only truth to the claims that the +4s are better is that they are "long life plugs". The improvement in fuel economy and power are factored over a 100,000 mile interval. With the 4 electrodes, the plug will fire to the one with the path of least resistance. Once one wears down, it will fire to another one for as long as you leave them in the engine. This extends the life of the plug even more but doesn't save gas or add power short term. The real savings would be more noticable after a plug with a single electrode has worn down. Each of the 4 electrodes only has to bear 25% of the wear. This all sounds great until you find out that you can not set the air gap on the plug. They are factory present to 1.6 mm and is nonadjustable. There is no way to set them for optimal use. A Platinum plug requires a wider gap than a Copper plug to get the same effective spark. A wider gap requires more voltage to jump the gap. The engine manufacturer has designed the complete ignition system as a package; the voltage and timing of the spark from the ignition system is tailored for a specific plug gap. Changing the gap can lead to intermittent misfiring, which will foul the plug. No plug can magically create horsepower out of thin air or add horsepower that wasn't there in the first place. But improved ignition reliability can minimize horsepower losses caused by misfires. That's why some plug manufacturers claim their spark plugs improve power. The gains come from power that was being lost to misfires.

Stick with the OEM plugs, change them out at the proper intervals and don't believe all of the hype.

Last edited by E-Klasse; 04-07-2003 at 08:55 PM.