E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 Diesel Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW Rabbit
W210 Diesel Questions

Hi, all - first post.

I've been interested in owning a rear wheel drive diesel for some time now and am about ready to commit, after I find a suitable one. I located one to see nearby at a dealer's - a '98 E300 sedan, AT, turbo-diesel, with 150k miles. It's unlikely they will have any repair receipts.

Before buying I will get a full independent repair shop to go over the car, but before I get to that point - what do I look for when I look it over on the lot? I've bought 25 cars in my life and am reasonably good at locating paint overspray and misaligned panels, but I've never owned a MB or a diesel.

FWIW, I've never spent significant time DIY wrenching, but I want to try it with this one. I'm retired military and have access to an auto hobby shop with both lifts and general mechanics to point the way, though they won't actually put their hands in.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 AM

98 E300
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
Hi, all - first post.

I've been interested in owning a rear wheel drive diesel for some time now and am about ready to commit, after I find a suitable one. I located one to see nearby at a dealer's - a '98 E300 sedan, AT, turbo-diesel, with 150k miles. It's unlikely they will have any repair receipts.

Before buying I will get a full independent repair shop to go over the car, but before I get to that point - what do I look for when I look it over on the lot? I've bought 25 cars in my life and am reasonably good at locating paint overspray and misaligned panels, but I've never owned a MB or a diesel.

FWIW, I've never spent significant time DIY wrenching, but I want to try it with this one. I'm retired military and have access to an auto hobby shop with both lifts and general mechanics to point the way, though they won't actually put their hands in.

Thanks.
Hi Jay-
I too am a new MB diesel owner (98 e300D-T). I bought it in Jan.

The most important thing to look for is corrosion. Get under the car as best you can and look at the floor pan. Pop up the back seat to access the battery compartment and check the pan there. Check the spring perches as best you can. The problems in this specific area can lurk underneath the exterior coating, though.

Drive car and not transmission behavior. When working right, the trans will shift so smoothly you will barely notice a hitch in movement. Check the service records available and see when the ATF was last changed. Change it ASAP if there are no records available if you do buy the car.

Brake light switches fail quite often, and manifest themselves by causing ABS/ASR/BAS/ESP warning lights to come on. IF it is only the switch, then it is a $30 part from the dealer. If not (as in my case ), then you may be in for a more expensive and difficult fix, should you choose to buy the car.

Thanks for your service to our country
Those auto hobby shops at military bases are great! I was in the military for 9 years and used them extensively.

Good luck!
p.s. found this: http://www.eclassbenz.com/buyers-guide/common-problems/

Last edited by mi benz; 03-27-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 03-27-2010, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Hello and Welcome to the forum -

For starters you might try reading the thread W210 Common Problems here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-problems.html

I don't mean to scare you. It's a list of things that people have experienced but most people will not have very many issues as these cars are quite reliable. Also, you'll have to filter out the engine related ones since most users have a gas model.

Feel free to post questions. That's why we're all here.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:24 PM

2008 VW Rabbit
Thanks. I did read the common problems thread and am not (quite) scared off by them, though the thought of having to replace fuel delivery o-rings every 10k miles is fairly interesting. Anyway - fuel leak smell - check. Howl from rear dif - check. Don't use cup holder for liquids - check. Air conditioner, electric warning lights, etc.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
You'll be fine.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
If I remember corrcetly the fuel lines and 0-rings last at least 80,000 miles.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:18 PM

2008 VW Rabbit
I suspected as much. The list of common problems had a post indicating every 10k miles. I'd probably have heard of that one before, if so.