E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Mercedes Benz E320 Stuck in first

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
Mercedes Benz E320 Stuck in first

Hey all,

I have 1997 E320 Mercedes Benz. The car does not get out of 1st gear and leaks alot of transmission fluid. CEL Is on also. It has around 104,xxx miles. My parents gave it to me when I was in college since they moved out of the country.

The first signs of problems was when the transmission wasn't shifting as smoothly as usuaual. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't shift out of first in the morning or when the car was cold. Then it would only shift into 1st,2nd,3rd. At that point i just parked it on my street for like 6 months and didn't use it.

One day some lady rear ended it while it was parked on my street. I figured i can limp it to the local body shop on gears 1,2, and 3 to get an estimate for the insurance payment. However the car would only go in first and reverse now.

So now the car has a banged up trunk and bumper and a transmission stuck in 1st gear. I didn't use the insurance money to fix the trunk because of the transmission. Insurance denied my claim about the transmission damage also.

I can't afford to take it to the dealer for a diagnosis, I'm on a grad student budget. I just want to see what the tranny problem is and if its worth fixing or just sell the car for parts and i already have someone to fix the rear trunk for cheap

. Im looking to sell the car if fixed Any money i can get is good with me since its just sitting on my street now.

I can't afford the up keep of a mercedes right now so no point in keeping it you know.

Any help or advice on the least costly way to approach my problem would be appreciated. Also sorry for the extra long post.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Slow leak

and leaking electrical connector on Transmission might be the issue.
You ignored it while it was happening and if you want to fix or attempt to fix if not permanently damaged go to the diy section on www.benzworld.org w210
and fix the leak and refill properly and see if that works.
Good luck in grad school