E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Easy Mods to Upgrade Seat Comfort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
Easy Mods to Upgrade Seat Comfort

Fellas,
I thought I'd share some slight mods to my driver's seat to make it more comfortable. To make a long story short, I purchased a driver and passenger seat in pretty good condition about two years ago. I did this because the passenger side airbag sensor went bad and I needed a new one. The dealer quoted me $500 to fix it. I found two working seats in great condition for $500 so I bought them instead.
What I did:
Seat bottom
Problem: Part of the "suspension" of the seat bottom is a combination of a foam/rubber pad that the metal wire frame rests on. After a while, the metal frame starts to crack the foam pieces and it pushes through the cushioning instead of the foam supporting it.
Solution: I found some heavy cardboard and duct tape in my closet. I made cardboard cut outs that traced the edges of each foam piece. I then heavily wrapped each piece of cardboard in duct tape. I inserted these pieces between the metal frame and the existing foam support. I then reassembled the bottom piece.
Result: I have better bottom support overall. In particular, the front portion of the seat supports the underside of my knees better than before. Big improvement.
Seat Back
Problem: The lumbar and back support sucks unless you have the air bladder seats. I don't.
Solution: I disassembled one of my old seats and identified how the "suspension" in the frame of the seat works. There are a series of springs that attach the metal center back support to the metal frame. These springs have a decent amount of "give" to them. I took the springs off of my old driver's seat that I was going to throw away and doubled them up on my new seat. I then reassembled everything.
Result: Lumbar support is a little better. Probably because I don't sink into the seat as much as before.
All in all, I would rate this project as a success. If you purchase some seats to replace your worn out old ones, I would definitely suggested doing these procedures before installing the new seats and throwing the old ones out.
Good luck, and let me know if you experience the same results.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320
nice write up. what year did the seats come out from?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
Originally Posted by jgananE320
nice write up. what year did the seats come out from?
I believe they were from a 99' or 98'. Can't remember for sure though.