E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Rattling sound in the rear end of the car?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
MB’s
Unhappy Rattling sound in the rear end of the car?????

Ahhhh its been a week from hell and just to have one more crazy little thing happen is on my 2002 E320 I have 93,000 miles on it. Never really been a trouble car but latly I have been having this loud rattling from the rear end of the car. It sounds like a Diesel lol. I looked under the car and it seems to be comming from the exhaust system. Nothing is comming from under the hood so I got underneith the car and its hard to be 100% sure but like I said its comming from the exhaust area. Any ideas guys and gals?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 - RIP
most probably one/more catalytic converter...... you have four of them (each just bigger than a quart can)...two on each bank, with O2 sensors before and after the first set....

....follow exhaust from manifold...should come up to the two front cats just after engine at firewall slant on either side of tranny....keep going and you will come up to the two rear cats, almost below rear of center console - a mechanics stethoscope (or a hollow rod) would help pinpoint if you bang on them.....past that is the resonator and then the muffler.

....note...if rattling persists and broken pieces of the cats internal block exhaust discharge you will experience engine issues...ENGINE CHECK will eventually come on with some sort of 'misfire' or 'o2 sensor' code - i.e. overheating of exhaust ports - car will go into 'limp' mode - max 4k rpm until problem resolved and CEL is reset.

....resolution options....

a. let it go til you get a CEL - not recommended, but it will give you time to find/get the right diagnosis/replacement...
.....try here... http://www.converterwarehouse.com/index.cfm

b. replace bad cat....
.....you'll find complete left or right oem banks for ~$500 each bank.....
.....can go to dealer for new mb oe for ~$1500 each bank....
.....dealer also has refurbished units for ~$400 + core, obviously you have to ask for it!

c. don't really need the rear cats! (except where mandatory), you already have the two up front from which the sensor readings are taken...you can just replace both with straight pipes for ~$50 and never worry about them again!.....or have both rear cats gutted out - will pass the visual inspection and also emissions since no CEL - with no worries thereafter.

...more info here... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ts-photos.html

Last edited by kbad; 05-29-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
MB’s
Ughhhhh. Thank you for your relply. Hopefuly its nothing to serious lol. There is no CEL or any lights on though.