E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Question about some '97 E320 Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320
Question about some '97 E320 Problems

As stated in the title I own a '97 E320 with 179k on it. It runs like a charm but there are some quirks, and one in particular I am concerned about and would like some advice on.

First of all my HVAC fan only blows on low regardless of the speed I set on the control panel. Used to work fine when I got the car a year ago and works well until something heats up. This problem was exactly the same as a problem I had in my first car ('89 pontiac grand prix) so I immediately went to believing a faulty control module, but thanks to this forum I have been able to diagnosed this as a blown regulator. And again, thanks to this forum, I am replacing this weekend for a WHOLE lot cheaper than the dealership wants.

Secondly at lower speeds, say between 30 - 35 mph there is a growling noise coupled with some additional vibration in the car. The growl sounds like it is coming from the rear end. I can go above and below this range and the problem goes away. Also, if I drop the transmission into 4th the noise/vibrations seem to go away as well. What on earth could be causing this weird problem? I thought it might be the differential, but if that was going bad I would think it would be at all speeds, not just a specific range. Anyone else experience this? I did search the forums for an answer, but I couldn't seem to find an answer, perhaps I just missed it.

Other than that and some cosmetic things (cracking dash board and the little slider cover near the shift lever broke so I can see down into the center console) the car is in great condition.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Check the driveshaft support (in the middle of the car maybe have the rubber broken)

In one case in our workshop we have an E50 amg, it miss "one" bolt by the driveshaft & the vibration are insolit!! check & check too the motor mounts, when you change the rpm range the engine turns change the vibrations to the body

Fabio Daniel
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320
Okay that sounds reasonable. I'll crawl under the car later this week and take a look. What are the torque specs for those bolts?

On a slightly different topic: Does anyone know where I can get a hold of the repair manual (I am thinking a manual like a Chilton's or Hayne's book) for the W210 chassis? I remember seeing a way to purchase a CD/DVD from Mercedes, but for the life of me I cannot seem to find it anymore. Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 - RIP
check cat(s) for "growling", or back pressure in exhaust system....at ~35mph you're at ~1500 rpm...the resonant frequency for where the cat(s) are located in my exhaust system...check it in reverse and should hear it as well....a muffler shop should be able to determine which...eventually it may sound like dice in a can and the pieces will either pass thru the exhaust system or clog it up and cause misfire due to back pressure in exhaust system.... look here for cat info... http://www.converterwarehouse.com/index.cfm ...good luck!

Last edited by kbad; 07-02-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Maybe... possible.. but really i dont think the issue is provided by the cats.. cats are very audible & easy to determine.. I think the torque specs for the shaft bolts are 55nm & first check your motor mounts (Open hood, put the car in "D" and accel with brake & hand brake solid depressed) you can see if your motor going up or not, to determine if you have a broken motor mount. (i know sounds like an prehistoric process... but you can see easy this way)

Fabio Daniel