E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Wet floor mat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 2010 AWD
Wet floor mat

Today I was cleaning inside the car and noticed moist underneath the rear left floor mat. When I touch the mat underneath that -the one that is stuck to the body, it was wet. I dried with a towel and investigated more; found 2 things:

1. Under right foot of the front seat, driver seat, there is a hole to a duct below the body that wires are coming through it. There was water in there and was wet. There is exactly a similar duct under the passenger side - under the left foot of the seat. The passenger side was dry. I thought there might be a hole or maybe a missing cap on the left side duct, underneath the car; yesterday or the day before it was raining and I certainly drove over waters in pot holes (although I usually try to avoid).
Long story, short; has anyone ever experienced something similar? It was getting dark and I didn't have a chance to have the car lifted; but a quick look - I just bent my knees and looked underneath; it is all covered - not a surprise! Ha!!!!

2. There was a very very thin clear long hose hanging from underneath the driver seat. There is no such a thing underneath the passenger seat. Any idea what is that? I initially though it has something to do with the adjustment. But moving the seat in all possible direction, didn't have any effect on the lenght of the hose.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM

ML350 2010 AWD
Unhappy Update

THIS IS AN UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS OBSERVATION

As I drove the car I noticed sound of water - splashing!!!! I don't know how to describe it, but it sounded as if there is a pool of water and when I hit the break hard, it sounded as if a wave hit the beach!!!! So I took the rear seat out, there was in the battery compartment; there was water all underneath the floor board, much much more on the left side, and less on the right side. There is no evidence of wetness on the right side floor board surface though.

It took me an hour and bunch of towels to dry out the water - though not completely; There are some holes in the body toward the ground for draining; they are not clogged.

Underneath the car, except the drain holes, is all sealed with a kind of tar, resin, ... something like that.

I read somewhere that it might be condensate of the AC. It's way is clogged somewhere, and condensates stay in, rather than going out.
But I don't know where to start ....

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Last edited by moayes; 07-28-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 PM

2001 E320
maybe a leak somewhere? Try to remove the seat, close the door, and have somebody spray the car with water from top to bottom, while you being inside, maybe inspect for some water leaks? was there any recent rain? does the water seems fresh, or old?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 PM

ML350 2010 AWD
Originally Posted by zheka
maybe a leak somewhere? ...
I have no idea. I have been in the car when it was raining. Or while in a car wash. There is no obvious leakage of outside water into the car. Somehow, water has found its way underneath the floorboard; it is either from outside rain, or from the AC; no idea, and don't know where to look.

All door seals, sunroof seal, window seals .. they are all look perfect!

How can I say if it's old or fresh? It's been underneath the floorboard, definitely not a "clean" spot; but it doesn't smell.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 PM

2001 E320
seems like maybe the water is coming from the bottom. try to get a hose, and spray the bottom of the car, see maybe you can find it that way
Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 PM

ML350 2010 AWD
Update

Hi again ... since my last update, I managed to take that water out and dry it out. I also opened the cover over the driver's foot and found the source of leak. The drainage hose from AC to outside was out of its place and condensate was drained into the car!!!! Anyway, I inspected everything down there and figured out it was not only a misplaced hose, the hose itself leaks as well.

The hose is pretty much in good shape. But there is very thin liner on its outside, and has a pressed line along its length; the press line is not sealed anymore and it leaks.

Have seen many threads on replacing this hose (I don't what's its technical name, or part #) with home-made ones.

... still trying to fix it.

PS: I'll post some pics.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 PM

2001 E320
great you found the leak. good luck on the fix!!