E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Ski Trip in E430 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Ski Trip in E430 4Matic

I am driving from New Jersey to Colorado in March to go skiing. Am I crazy to take my E430 4Matic? What should I do before driving 4000 miles to the Rockies? My dealer is going to install the MB ski rails and racks. I worry this will make for horrible wind noise at 90MPH. Any recs for better equipment than from MB dealer? Need to haul 2 pairs of skis and a snowboard. What about tires? I have the all season Continentals on it now. Any thoughts? I'm not too worried about high-altitude performance. The ski rack and the tires are my big concern right now.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:06 PM

2001 MB CLK55
Can't speak to the driving in snow part of your question, but I can tell you from first hand experience that the MB roof racks are not the quietest in the world.

On the occasions when I've mounted my MB racks on my CLK55, the noise has just about driven me nuts - even when it was JUST the rack itself (I have the add-on pieces to carry surfboards). I'd expect some difference in your gas mileage as well - I can feel a significant difference in the rate of deceleration when I let off the gas with the racks on.

One of the goodies my CLK has that your E can't - a ski sack! Allows skis (or in my case, my son's hockey sticks) to ride in the trunk/into the passenger compartment without messing up the interior!

Good luck.....
Old 02-06-2002, 01:12 PM

1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
snow performance

Living on the east side of cleveland in the snow belt, we see a good share of the white. In any case, our E 4matic is as bad in the snow as our E300 TurboDiesel (both pretty worthless). They both have all season tires. If you expect snow on the roads (hopefully its just on the slopes), i'd consider some snow tires, or at least get a set of chains for your trunk, although putting the chains on while its snowing is not much fun. Thats a long drive, it might be less headache to just fly and rent a SUV. Just my two cents...
Old 02-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Banned

Smart Car
BenzE

You are one crazy/beautifull MF
Old 02-06-2002, 05:28 PM

All of the above
4matic ski trip

Go for it!

I suggest 4 good snow tires. i.e. Michelin "Artic Alpins" or
Bridgestone "Blizzaks".

As far as the rack: I have a customer w/ a 4matic wagon with a Thule luggage carrier on top, Itt is a tear drop shape that would be more aero than skis on a rack. I am not sore if one large enough for skis and a board would fit on a sedan. you might want to look into a one piece fibrglass carrier like that.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
Dont even attempt it without snow tires

Even though its got a good all wheel drive system, it is worthless in snow without good snow tires. With the snow tires its a great riding and very responsive vehicle. We took one up to Vermont one weekend with the all season tires and it was unbearable. When we got back the tires were changed to Blizzaks and it is the best thing out there. Enjoy the ride.. sounds like a serious adventure.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:15 AM

2000 E430
Colorado

Well BenzE,

I'll throw in my 2 cents on this. I live in Denver, CO... it would be better if you could tell me what resort you are going to, but just as some general information, the snow in Colorado is not bad at all. I drive to and from Vail almost every other weekend throughout the winter and I am in a 95' E320 WITHOUT Snow Tires. The highway cleaning is pretty good out here. There are always trucks out there right after a snow putting de-ice on the highway. Also, the snow ALWAYS melts the day of or the day after a big snow, that's just the way the weather is. But don't let that discourage you from the skiiing. Even though the snow melts off the highway, its great on the slopes. This has been one of the better ski seasons for us this year, so ENJOY and don't worry about the snow too much, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:09 PM

2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Hey, Patz and everyone else who chimed in: We're going to stay in Breck, but we will day trip to A-Basin & Vail. We might rent an SUV out there just because I'm afraid to take my Benz to the parking lot at A-Basin!!! Thanks for all of the advice. We're thinking of UPS-ing our skis to avoid the whole rack issue. We don't worry about noise since we always have the tunes too loud to hear anything; we're worried about missing out on our land-speed record or losing our skis on Loveland Pass. Or getting arrested. I'm thinking about the Blizzaks though...

I sure wish I had a G-wagen...