E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

4matic front suspension refresh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 E430 4Matic; 2008 S550 4Matic; 2012 E350 4matic; 2014 E63S
4matic front suspension refresh

Just passed 120k miles on my '00 e430 4matic and the car's suspension is beginning to feel its age so I'm going to invest a little time/money in a refresh.

Front I've decided that I'm going to replace the shocks and the front lower control arm bushings, ball joints, and sway bar bushings. I'll also probaby replace the inner/outer tie rod ends.

Upper control arms? I've researched it and I don't see a lot of folks replacing the upper control arms as part of this operation. I have read that its a major PITA to do the upper control arms. So my quesiton is whether the upper control arm simply doesn't wear as quickly or as much as the lower control arm bushings/joints or are people not replacing them due to cost/PITA factor?

Rear suspension components? Other than the rear shocks - are there other suspension components that commonly wear out and I should consider replacing as part of the refresh?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by marcmayer; 08-12-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Various
Originally Posted by marcmayer
Just passed 120k miles on my '00 e430 4matic and the car's suspension is beginning to feel its age so I'm going to invest a little time/money in a refresh.

Front I've decided that I'm going to replace the shocks and the front lower control arm bushings, ball joints, and sway bar bushings. I'll also probaby replace the inner/outer tie rod ends.

Upper control arms? I've researched it and I don't see a lot of folks replacing the upper control arms as part of this operation. I have read that its a major PITA to do the upper control arms. So my quesiton is whether the upper control arm simply doesn't wear as quickly or as much as the lower control arm bushings/joints or are people not replacing them due to cost/PITA factor?

Rear suspension components? Other than the rear shocks - are there other suspension components that commonly wear out and I should consider replacing as part of the refresh?

Thanks in advance
02 430 4matic... the dealer noted the lower ball joints were showing wear and wouldn't pass inspection. Independent shop replaced them for about $300. While he was installing them he said the front right shock was leaking oil everywhere and was shot. I order front shocks and he tried to get them on. Evidently you need about three special tools for the job and it's involved. Ended up at the dealer with a labor bill of just over $700 for both - they used my shocks. Ouch, but it's done. Now I need to replace one or both rear cats as one is rattling...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering