E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

So you locked your keys in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Lightbulb So you locked your keys in the trunk?

This post is for informational purposes only.

Alright
so here's my story. On Saturday my dad had borrowed my car and went to the store. While it was parked it had been hit and ran. My dad didn't notice. Neither did I.

Later that day I drove my car up to the trail I go walk at everyday. When I got out I noticed a little scratch on my hood from a rock, probably. So I start to walk around the car to just check it out.

As I approached the rear I noticed my bumper was out of place, then I noticed my passenger tail light was bent in, and all in the area where the trunk, tail light, and bumper meet were all caved in a little. The chrome trim was pretty bent upwards and inwards towards where the rest of the damage was.

I opened the truck and tried to pull out the bumper and fix the trim as best as I could. It didn't make much of a difference. So I was pretty well pissed. I slammed the trunk lid and went for my walk thinking of how to get the police report filed and all that.

After my walk I was well exhausted, I mean I walked a good 5 miles. As I get to my car I start feeling for my key. That's when it dawned on me that I had sat it in the trunk when I was trying to fix the bumper. Oh believe me, I ****ING RAGED. Walked the extra mile and a half home as it started to rain.

After looking around online my only option was to order a new key. Which required some proof of ownership and well all of that was locked away in my glove compartment.

I made a call to a lock smith and they told me they would have to break the lock to get in. Well a new lock goes for around $200 and I'm going through enough money problems as it is. I also didn't want my lock broken until I could find a new lock because I've got around $2000 of a sound system in the trunk. I definitely wouldn't want that to get stolen.

So I called up my insurance again about an hour and a half or so ago, and they sent out a tow truck. While waiting for the tow truck to arrive, me and my dad sat there thinking of ways to pop the trunk if the tow man can get into the cabin of the car.

Out first idea was to disconnect the battery and hopefully the alarm would disengage. Because if the alarm is set, the trunk release button wont work.

Luckily the tow man was able to pop open the cabin. The alarm goes off and we try our idea. Well we quickly found out that the alarm has a back up power source. So that idea fell through.

Our second idea was to once again disconnect the battery then reconnect it, then while holding the trunk release button reconnect the battery. Hoping that it would bypass the alarm system for that split second before it engaged. Once again that plan failed.

That's when I noticed the little button next to the hazard light button was flashing. You know, the one with the car at like a 35 degree angle with a little tow hook next to it? Well since it was flashing it definitely had something to do with the alarm/functionality of the car, or else the button wouldn't be there.

So, I tell my dad to reconnect the battery one last time before we gave up and had it towed to the house. The alarm starts blasting off once again, and I press in that flashing button while pulling the trunk release on and off.

Sure enough, the trunk opens! I grabbed the key and shut off the alarm. I couldn't have been any happier, I actually jumped for joy!

So in the end, I didn't have to pay a lock smith $160 to come break a lock that I would have to replace for $200. I also didn't have to run to the DMV to get a copy of the registration to order a new key that would take up to 3 days to receive. The key is only like $15 though, which I think is pretty damn good price if you want to go that route.

So that's my bit of knowledge for my fellow W210 owners. I know **** like this happens a lot. Whatever the situation, putting grocery bags in the trunk or something along the lines.

If you're like me and spent hours looking online for a solution only to find nothing and have to get a new key or the worse. I hope this helps you, and don't use this information for anything dumb. We have enough **** ups in the world.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by savincent
We have enough **** ups in the world.
and now they all know how to get into your trunk without a key and steal your $2,000 sound equipment.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 PM

E320
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
and now they all know how to get into your trunk without a key and steal your $2,000 sound equipment.
I really did laugh, pretty hard. You make a damn good point. I guess there's always a yin to the yang.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by savincent
I really did laugh, pretty hard. You make a damn good point. I guess there's always a yin to the yang.
i'm just glad I have a w220 not a w210, and I hope my systems work differently and make it at least a little bit harder to boost my trunk contents
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM

E320
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
i'm just glad I have a w220 not a w210, and I hope my systems work differently and make it at least a little bit harder to boost my trunk contents
I would hope so, you might want to give it a try just to make sure though. Now that I've given knowledge that could be used for either good or bad, you could never be too careful.