E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Misc. questions about E430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Misc. questions about E430

Hello everyone...first post for me.

I recently picked up a nice '98 E430 Sport, and I have a few unrelated questions about some features. Perhaps some of you can give me your opinions:

1. I'm not sure if I have a rain-sensing wiper or not, but I do know that the variable speed setting for the wiper (the 1st position) causes the wiper to sweep at the exact same speed as the 2nd position. This happens wet or dry. It's as if intermittant is the same as regular speed. I'm guessing I should see the dealer about this?

2. I have the 2-stage heated, orthopedic seats. I can barely detect any heat at either setting, though I don't know if the heat is intentionally low, or it has stopped working. It's hard to tell, but after about 5 mins, the seat is warm, but that could easily be attributed to normal body heat.

Or, since the ortho settings seem to inflate the cushion a bit, maybe there is too much space between the element and the leather?
My wife's Mazda has heated seats and you do feel your butt baking pretty quickly with those.

3. My spare is a 16" rim with a semi-used Michelin on it, whereas the rest of the rims are factory 17" sport wheels. I'm a little baffled by that, but I don't know if MB gives a smaller extra rim on purpose.
The car is definitely not an aftermarket upgrade to the Sport model.
Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

-RB
Old 02-07-2002, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430
Answers to your questions.

You can see the rain sensor from the outside of the car; it is positoned very near the rear view mirror. If your wiper sweeps in the first position even when dry, you either do not have a rain sensor or it is malfunctioning.

I have the contour seats with heaters and it takes about 2-3 minutes for the seat to heat up in the low position. In the high position, it takes only about 1 minute and it gets quite hot.

I have 17" sport wheels, but I have never used or really checked out my spare tire. So long as the rolling diameter of the spare is the same as the 17" with 235/45 tires, you should have no problems during usage.

My car is a MY00 E430 sport.