E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Problem with console window switches / mirror control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Problem with console window switches / mirror control

2001 w210 e320 4matic wagon

Both the center window switches and the mirror control switch aren't working. I'm able to roll up and down the windows using the remote fob from outside of the car. The mirrors also work w/ the memory seats. I replaced the center switch unit in the center console, but that didn't work... Any ideas what would cause this.

The passenger airbag light also never lights up like it used to when you start the car.

All the connections look good and the I can't imagine it's a fuse becuase the windows work w/ the remote.

Is there a relay that controls that unit? This one has me stumped!

Thanks for any help!

Brandon
Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
You need to have the CAN BUS B scanned and diagnosed to narrow the issue. That would be a dealer or well equiped/trained indy shop. There are CAN BUS diagrams around that show all of the modules, i don't have it handy, but it could be the main module under the hood or a wiring problem feeding into the BUS bar.

See if the functions return by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. This resets the system until the problem reoccurs. Note how long it takes to happen again and if any other functions fail.

Replacing CAN modules without diagnosing can get rather expensive, as each module is $250 and up.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM

Well, good news found the airbag light (and SRS on dash) was a fuse under the rear seat. I'll update the post w/ the label but it was Language "something". I'm guessing that was the CAN-BUS? When I replaced that the airbag srs light blinked on when starting the car and stayed off! Sweet! Light on the center console pieces worked as usual also...

Now to figure out the windows / mirrors!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Found the next problem. I didn't see that all the windows have seperate fuses up front (had checked those before), but they all share the same fuse in the rear panel. Location 3 in the rear fuse block. Both center panels now work. Well atleast I got rid of a crack in the old wood center panel. Fuse 3 also does the revere gear recognition which I thought would rule out that fuse, but now that I think about it probably controls the dip in the passenger mirror.

Thanks for all the help!!! I really appreciate it!

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...6&d=1232330594