E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

coin stuck in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e430
coin stuck in steering wheel

so I joined this because I need help! I know nothing about cars and was going to see if someone could give me directions so I can ask someone to help me. I'm dumb and somehow managed to get a quarter stuck in the steering wheel of my 1999 e430 when I was driving. It clanked around when I turned and figured would fall out or I would take a look at it when I parked but then it somehow managed to trigger my horn! It honked intermittently until I got home. I figured there's a way to disconnect the horn(?), but I still want it out! at first it seemed as easy as maybe unscrewing the wheel cover somehow which I don't even know how to do but I just googled and people were mentioning airbags deploying and now it seems too much to handle. can someone please help me? or would anyone know how much it would cost to bring it somewhere to get done and where?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Take it somewhere and get it sorted. If you decide to DIY it, disconnect the battery, and short the positive lead - which you've disconnected - to the chassis. There are a couple of Torx screws "behind" the steering wheel that will allow you to remove the airbag, and hence the quarter.

I think they are T25's, but not 100% sure. Be careful, the wires for the airbag are not very long, and you don't want to break them - probably easier if you have assistance, someone holding the airbag while you dig around for the quarter.