E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lamp defective warning is my constant companion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 e 430
Lamp defective warning is my constant companion

I have been getting the lamp defective warning on and off for the past three years and it is driving me crazy.

It seems that I am at the mechanic or the dealership every other week for them to fix yet another light bulb.

I assumed that since the car is a 1998 it is somewhat normal for the bulbs to be at the end of their life-cycle, but now I have replaced every single bulb and the first new one just went bad today.

Replaced within the last two years:
- low/high beam (2)
- fog light (2)
- front turn signals (2)
- corner lights (2)
- rear stop light (2)
- rear turn signal (2)
- reverse light (2)
- rear license plate (2)
- third brake light (1)
- rear tail light assembly (1)

Right now, my only goal in life is to have the dashboard stop showing me the "Lamp Defective" message every time I start and stop the car!

Why does a new bulb burn-out a few days after I fixed the previous burn-out? It happens like clockwork (much to the chagrin of my wife).
Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM

99' E320 4MATIC ESTATE / 92' 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by nkader
I have been getting the lamp defective warning on and off for the past three years and it is driving me crazy.

It seems that I am at the mechanic or the dealership every other week for them to fix yet another light bulb.

I assumed that since the car is a 1998 it is somewhat normal for the bulbs to be at the end of their life-cycle, but now I have replaced every single bulb and the first new one just went bad today.

Replaced within the last two years:
- low/high beam (2)
- fog light (2)
- front turn signals (2)
- corner lights (2)
- rear stop light (2)
- rear turn signal (2)
- reverse light (2)
- rear license plate (2)
- third brake light (1)
- rear tail light assembly (1)

Right now, my only goal in life is to have the dashboard stop showing me the "Lamp Defective" message every time I start and stop the car!

Why does a new bulb burn-out a few days after I fixed the previous burn-out? It happens like clockwork (much to the chagrin of my wife).
I am just afraid I will wear out the clear message button...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM

W210 - V6'02 / W163 - V6'02
im experiencing the same .. change fog light bulbs more than 2 times / side this year, and decided to not using the fog light again ... the message sometime light on when i suddenly braking very hard, but when i checked, all the brake lights are on. how to solve this burn out bulbs problem ya...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
sometimes corrosion at the bulb socket is the problem. other things to check are bad fog light harness (if the problem only comes on when you use fog lights. repair kit available), also weak battery or loose battery terminal connections. make sure to use only MB bulbs, which should not be expensive (I know, sounds ridiculous, but other makes have caused problems).
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM

W210 E320
I had a similar problem with my car a few months ago, where it would come on all the time.

I finally worked out that it was a poor contact on the tail light.

The tail light has a metal backing, where the globes connect to when you slot them in to the tail light.

I moved the metal backing plate around, pulling it out further to make better contact with the globe.

Haven't had a problem since, no Defective Lamp warning.