E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

a wet 98 E300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320 convertible
a wet 98 E300

my son took my old 98 diesel ....
he left the sunroof open and it rained ... got soaked
> both seats wet, little water on drivers side floor board, mat & carpet soaked in right front, the console got really wet undoubtedly ... and about 2 inches of water standing in the battery compartment.
> Several things started to happen, alarm system horn wet off while driving it home, no pwr windows, no pwr mirrors, no overhead courtesy light in front, the one in the rear come on and stayed on, parking lights & tail lights flicked on & off, now both sides on all the time ... radio, heat & a/c worked fine.
> Dryed it out ... everything so far has returned to normal, except the parking lights, tail lights and overhead courtesy lights.
> Assume there are relays that went bad? Assume that cause when the fuses were pulled for the parking & tail lights, the right side lights, stayed with no fuse!
Can someone point to a manual or papers for the relays and any hints for replacing them ... how do you tell one from the other ... should i replace all of them to be sure?
Thanks,
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Dry it out

with fans and a heater. Not to hot on the heat
Test the fuses as there are no relays for the tails and park.
best to disconnect the battery and not be testing anything more until it is fully dry.You don't want to fry your shift module
Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 PM

2000 CLK 320 convertible
hey there ... u replied to my msg on a wet 98 diesel ... it has been dried out ... especially with all the heat the midwest has been having. when i connected the battery recently, the tail & parking lights came on, as before. checked all the fuses, they look good. With no relay, not sure where to go next ... suggestions?
here's an inventory of what's wrong ... maybe this might suggest something ..
1) no auto locking, when driving or with the key fob, locking doesn't work even from the dash button.
2) have no alarm, if i lock the car w/window down, pull the plunger up and open the door, no alarm, goes for the hoof and the trunk
3) no automatic courtsey lights when the door is opened, fooled around with the setting to make sure it was set to auto. can turn them on manually, tho
4) trunk will not open by pushing in cylinder, have take the key, turn it & push in
5) when car is initially started, get a defective lamp on the dash, assume that is related to the parking and tail being on constantly
6) when running, if flip the brights on and the off, get a defective lamp on the dash
all other lights work as normal, head, brights, license, back up, brake ... etc
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
1-4 are probably related to water in the PSE vacuum pump, which sits encased in insulation next to the battery. Try drying it out as well, especially on the bottom where the control circuit board is located. Then disconnect battery a few minutes and reconnect. The PSE is connected via the CAN network, so one defect can trigger gremlin-type errors on the other CAN clients (windows, seats , locks ..).

Also, recommend strong negative feedback for the culprit (curfews, TV ban, allowance cuts, etc.)

Last edited by Hirnbeiss; 08-01-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 PM

2000 CLK 320 convertible
txs 4 the directio to the PSE pump ....
all the connections are rusty ... and when I took it apart the contact board was a mess with rust ... both the bottom & the top ...
I am checking to see replacement cost, personally believe it is too far gone ... to clean up ...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM

2000 CLK 320 convertible
the light problem

anyone have a clue for that? items 5 & 6 in my 8/1 posting?
Txs
Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
Originally Posted by Hoosier
5) when car is initially started, get a defective lamp on the dash, assume that is related to the parking and tail being on constantly
6) when running, if flip the brights on and the off, get a defective lamp on the dash
all other lights work as normal, head, brights, license, back up, brake ... etc
For #5: What exactly does the display say? Is it "Defective Lamp", "Defective Display", etc. It could be a number of things like your accessory lights that go on when you open the doors. Or, the speedo display could have a light out.
For #6: Are you running your fog lights in addition to your regular lights while doing this procedure? If so, when you have a fog light out, it will trigger an error message when switching from normal to brights.