E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Repair: How much will it cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E
Repair: How much will it cost?

I just got myself in a sticky situation. I was on a hill, and I forgot I was still in REVERSE, so I hit the gas and went back with the hill and hit a wall. In regards to the bumper, I believe that I will only need the casing and the left trim. Also, I will need to replace the whole side body panel, as the metal is affected the most. How much do you think all of this will cost?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Attached Thumbnails Repair: How much will it cost?-repair.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 E320 Original Owner 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet 2015 S600
Originally Posted by ThanasisKaplani
I just got myself in a sticky situation. I was on a hill, and I forgot I was still in REVERSE, so I hit the gas and went back with the hill and hit a wall. In regards to the bumper, I believe that I will only need the casing and the left trim. Also, I will need to replace the whole side body panel, as the metal is affected the most. How much do you think all of this will cost?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

$1000
Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 PM

E
Is your price estimate using aftermarket items, or OEM?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Depends on the damage down inside the trunk to the floor and the left main rail. This is a uni-body car. If the left main rail is also bent then it will need to be pulled straight. in order to do that the rear panel, floor and outer fender will need to be removed. That whole process could be as much as 6000$ which might total the car. Check in with a good body shop so there is no guessing here. It is always the hidden from view damage that runs the bill up a lot. I used to be an appraiser many years ago and have seen this kind of damage run a very wide range depending on the internal components affected.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 PM

'04 Cobra & '04 S430
This was about $3K using brand new parts and properly repaired at a good body shop (full bumper replacement).... :

I see a wrinkle in the body metal of yours - so you may have a support beam damage. Check the spare tire - the tire sits between two crumple beams (as I more recently found out). See if it is kinked or anything.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
At a minimum, quarterpanel cutout, replacement and paint, which ain't cheap (not to mention the light and bumper cover, which you could do yourself). At leaset it's driveable so you can get a few quotes.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 PM

E
Originally Posted by Huachipato
This was about $3K using brand new parts and properly repaired at a good body shop (full bumper replacement).... :

I see a wrinkle in the body metal of yours - so you may have a support beam damage. Check the spare tire - the tire sits between two crumple beams (as I more recently found out). See if it is kinked or anything.
Did you replace your whole right metal-sheet side panel?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 PM

E
Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss
At a minimum, quarterpanel cutout, replacement and paint, which ain't cheap (not to mention the light and bumper cover, which you could do yourself). At leaset it's driveable so you can get a few quotes.
How do I replace a bumper cover myself? Well, firstly I would need to get it painted, but I do not know how to take it apart. I especially don't know how to take apart the trim. It would save me a lot of money though.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:14 PM

'04 Cobra & '04 S430
I think they repaired the body shape. I remember the shop saying they were delayed waiting for a body mold from MB. The biggest part of the bill by far was labor. They did a fantastic job at making it look like new when it was all said and done. Blending the paint and all.

From my side, for that accident - cost was not really a factor as the person who hit me had insurance that was covering the bill. So we went with the best possible options to make it like new. I'm sure the bill could have been lessened a bit by not painting, and not fully repairing the dents and taking other such shortcuts.

EDIT: I'll add - full bumper replacement due to getting hit on the way to the body shop on the driver side. The second hit didn't do any body damage, but it did put some nasty cracks in the bumper.

Last edited by Huachipato; 07-04-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Estimate

$ 3,200 by reputable shop that makes it perfect......Insurance should cover....