E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

A warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Originally Posted by OCG-Harper
It is obvious from the responses, that my expectations were unrealistic. I hope that my post and subsequent replies can be used as a point of reference for those who share a similar situation. I feel let down, but that is to be expected when closely held assumptions are shown to be fallacy. Had the roles been reversed, I would have handled it very differently, have handled things differently. I have been reading forums on this and other MB sites for quite some time, and yes this is my first post. It is the first time I felt strongly enough to chime in. I do this with other brands (Jeep, Ford, Harley) as well. I have offered my knowledge (only) to other jeep owners (only) because I have a lot of experience working on CJ-7’s systems. I posted here to see what feedback I could get. I do note that there are a number of negative posts about Mercedes service. I have also noted a number of times where (Ohlord) and (EdzBenz) have given good advice/feedback to a number of posters. Gentlemen thank you for knowledge, I hope it comes back to you in spades. (Clkwork) I am sorry I snapped at you, but I stand by what I said. I have a 90+ mile round trip every time I utilize this shop. I have brought the car to them for every service since the original purchase (with one exception, still a MB dealer). I have never failed to pay my bill. The windows DID work before the dealer had the car. In fact the front window was rolled up just after the service advisor was handed the key for the initial B service. Last, what do you suppose my motivation was for scamming them? Did I break the dammed things just to see them squirm? Did I secretly know the regulators would fail and was revved up for a fight? Your logic doesn’t track: let’s flip it and see if it could be used against them, 1. How do I know they DIDN’T do something, 2. They don’t know why both regulators failed at the same time, 3. I know that the front was in fact working the moment they received the car and suspect the same of the other, 4. How many times have I scammed them? It comes out inconclusive either way, why not take care of the customer first, instead of seeing it as an opportunity to write another service ticket (that makes revenue). (Amdeutch) Sorry about the benzworld quote. It was shear laziness on my part, I did a search and (it) came up first. One last question: be honest! How many of you folks have heard of (or) experienced two window regulators failing at the same time? One last statement: window regulators average about $110 each, motors about $55 (retail), assume about $10 in consumables (rivets/grease/cleaner/rags). For both windows that is $340 plus labor. I’m not sure what the flat rate is these days, but let’s say its $50 an hour and it calls for an hour per door. Okay that is $440 for the whole job. That is the basic cost and doesn’t assume the profits built in to retail and flat rate pricing. And let’s say the job is originally quoted at over $700. As a minimum that is $260 of pure gravy. My conclusion: Don’t drink the koolaid! Sound cynical? Well I’m certainly getting that way. If you are happy with you service experience, wonderful. If you love your car, wonderful. I hope you continue to have positive experiences, and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Every time you post you sound more rediculious.... What do you do for work ? So you stay in business by not making profit , your trying to fault a dealer for making a profit

ok i know some dealers inflate charges some but they usuaully will ruin there reps themselfs. And everyone compares dealers to indy but there are thing that are alot diffrent between them.. Loaner cars , very few indies will give out them and most dealer have 50+ There are numerous jobs that the indie cant do and must bring to a dealer because they dont have right tools or program equipment... Dealers have very nice waiting areas and shuttle service , some even have coffee shops in the waiting area with putting greens.

My point is that comparing dealer to indies is kinda apples to oranges.. and also to expect a dealer to give every repair away for free makes you sound stupid.. When you bring your car there they might drive it so do they owe you new tires and brakes because they worn some of them.. You should bring this sad story to a indy and as your getting throw out while there laughing let us know how it goes.

Hey i built a house 6 years ago and my hot water heater stop working and quess what my builder gave me this song and dance about the waranty so i just replaced it myself and it was soposed to be covered under wty... but thats life 2k later (just parts ) put it in myself.... and i have a feeling the house cost a bit more than your car...

people these days are waranty pigs and handout ******

Last edited by hcetzneb; 07-25-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320
Originally Posted by EdzBenz
You're going to hate me for saying this, but in my experience, if you don't use it you will lose it. Not using the windows can actually be more detrimental to their longevity/reliability than using them a few times per month. The window regulators need to be exercised once in a while. My father had his 190D for a really long time and felt that if he never used the windows then they would remain working for a long time. Wrong. The moment I inherited the car, and started using the windows, the motors ran funny and regulators broke. I obviously don't have scientific proof of this, but my guess is some other forum members may back me up with their experience on it too.

Best of luck with your car. A window regular will cost you less than $200, and you can DIY it yourself. Screw going to the dealer for repairs.
EdzBenz, yes I agree with you. Not being worked is almost always harder on equipment than hard use. I’m fighting that on my 85 cj-7. Had it since it was new and drove it daily for ten years, 120k+. it hasn’t seen more than 10k since then. It is garaged but the belt and hoses are weathering out. I have to be real careful before I drive it. I know I’m going to have to replace the brake hoses on general principal real soon. I get your point and have not disputed that things break and don’t last forever. I just (still) cannot get over two failures at once, on the same side of the car, right after someone else had the car. Could I fix it myself? No doubt? I’ve got a *****in new air over hydraulic rivet setter I’d love to use more. However, I’m getting old and crabby and only want to work on cars when I want to, not when I need to. Looked at a couple of DIY posts on these regulators, and it seems pretty straight forward. First one would be “go slow and don’t break anything” event. The second one would be a snap. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 560 , 02 E320 wagon
The dealer with the lowest labor rate in my area charges 115.00 per hour -- the Porsche dealer is over $200.00. My local guy charges $90.00!

So $ 50.00 is not realistic.