E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Questions about my 1996 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
Questions about my 1996 E320

Hi Folks -
I have a couple of quick questions on my (new to me) 1996 E320, if anyone has any insight, please share.

1. Is the retractable antennae for the optional cell phone? - is the radio's antennae built into the back window?

2. Also, my car does not have the W/S switch by the gear shifter; does that mean that I do not have any form of traction control (or, is it just always on)?

3. The car has 86k miles; would I be advised to switch to a synthetic during my next oil change?

Thank you in advance; I really appreciate the help. Best,

Ken

Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by kwcross
Hi Folks -
I have a couple of quick questions on my (new to me) 1996 E320, if anyone has any insight, please share.

1. Is the retractable antennae for the optional cell phone? - is the radio's antennae built into the back window?

2. Also, my car does not have the W/S switch by the gear shifter; does that mean that I do not have any form of traction control (or, is it just always on)?

3. The car has 86k miles; would I be advised to switch to a synthetic during my next oil change?

Thank you in advance; I really appreciate the help. Best,

Ken
Hi and Welcome to the forum -

1. No sure on the antenna. It's in the rear side window of the wagon (98-03).

2. The W/S switch changes the startup gear from 1st to 2nd for traction purposes but is not the traction control system. Check to see if there is a switch above (in front of) the left front window switch next to the shifter. If you have one it will say ASR (acceleration slip regulation) or maybe ESP (electronic stability program).

3. MB recommends that you use a MB Spec. 299.3 rated oil which is a synthetic. Synthetic oils represent the latest technology and generally provide better wear resistance, increased gas mileage and easier starting. They generally cost a little more but it you increase your service cycle a little it's a push.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4matic, 2015 Acura TLX
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of good tips on maintaining and fixing your car.

As for your questions, the radio antennae is embedded in the rear window. Mine has the (useless analog) phone also, and there is no other antennae, so I assume it shares the radio antennae.

1996 was the last year for the 4-speed auto trans in the E320. The 5 speed debuted in the 1996 E420, and in 1997 was used across the board. The "W-S" switch came with the 5 speed auto. It doesn't really matter though, our cars didn't get to be this old and in such pristine condition by driving them in the snow.

My last point will likely result in some controversy. Our cars came from the factory with 5W30 Conventional Oil, and that is what the dealer put in them during routine service visits the first couple of years, before switching to a 15w40. The recommendation for synthetic came some time later, and is required for the V-6 models which debuted in '98. My indy mechanic has advised me to stick with the 5W30 conventional, but I think everyone else on this forum would disagree. I change my oil every 3000 miles (about twice a year). The later years have a service monitor to tell you when to change the oil.