E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Coolant Circulation pump error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Coolant Circulation pump error

Help please , I just had this problem today:
AC stopped working and the EC button stays lit.. which to me means that either Blower , regulator , or low on refrigerant ..OK so I ran the diagnostic through the Climate control.
- Blower is working fine , speeds changing properly ( I am assuming that means the Blower is OK , am I right ?
- EC light stays on , to me most likely , the regulator .
After running the Diagnostic , I see few errors:
- In Car Temp Sensor
- Heater Core temp
- HEater Core Temp
- Evaporator Temp Sensor
- Refrigerant Pressure sensor
- Refrigerant Temp sensor
- Sun Sensor
- COOLANT CIRCULATION PUMP

Does that mean my water pump is not working? My temp on the cluster hardly goes over 85 , and I just flushed the coolant with the proper Zerex G05 .. knowing that I have AC issues to deal with , but till I get the regulator replaced ...should I worry about driving the car with what LOOKS like a non working circulation pump ? I noticed today that my AUX fan is not coming on , I am assuming thats because the AC is not engaging ...Or am I missing something , your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by maxwerks; 10-03-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: title
Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 e63s,03 e55, 69 280s, 92 500e, 95 e320, 08 lancer
try clearing faults and find out what comes back.
evap temp sensor or low on freon is what i would suspect.
coolant circulating pump is not the water pump
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
First, error messages tend to cascade. That is one error triggers another, etc.

I would first check the refrigerant pressure/temperature sensor.

Most (all?) W210's have two coolant pumps. The water pump on the front of the engine and a secondary electric recirculating pump on the wheel housing sheet metal just under/below the coolant expansion tank. May be a different location on your car. This pump supplies heated water to the duo-valve and then to the heater case.

Hope that helps some.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by karwerk
try clearing faults and find out what comes back.
evap temp sensor or low on freon is what i would suspect.
coolant circulating pump is not the water pump
Thank you so very much karwerk, thats strange .. I did in fact clear all the faults/ errors... then I ran the test again, all I got was FF , ran it again , also FF ...I am not sure if I am supposed to wait for a certain amount of time ..but not even the sun sensor error is coming up .. ALSO , I am able to turn off the EC button.. all day today I wasnt able to ..isnt that strange ? Also , I thought the coolant circulation pump was in fact the water pump ..is there another pump I am not aware of? I am going to drive the car tomorrow and see if I am able to engage the AC , and run the diagnostic again I am surprised that all errors were cleared and none showed up at all . I thank you again for your courtesy.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RichardM98
First, error messages tend to cascade. That is one error triggers another, etc.

I would first check the refrigerant pressure/temperature sensor.

Most (all?) W210's have two coolant pumps. The water pump on the front of the engine and a secondary electric recirculating pump on the wheel housing sheet metal just under/below the coolant expansion tank. May be a different location on your car. This pump supplies heated water to the duo-valve and then to the heater case.

Hope that helps some.
Thank you Richard , when I ran the values before , the #7, which is supposed to be be for the " Refrigerant Pressure " read 0.7 I am assuming that is 0.7 bar... which I think is low if I am not mistaken , so right away I knew there is a problem . I guess I will run both values and errors again and see what it reads and report. Thanks so much .
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC DIAGNOSTICS

Well as an update , Last night I cleared all the errors , ran it again, no errors at all , the EC button was off and the AC kicked in ..but somehow I felt thats not it . This morning I drove the car , AC on EC button not lit ..all is well , few miles , EC button came back on, no AC ...parked , ran the diagnostic..now the only error showing is Eb1241 which is Low refrigerant ...would the refrigerant being low cause all of that on its own ...shouldnt I be checking the regulator , and evaporator pressure sensor ? I Know that I have to track the leak and see where it is coming from , but I also want to take care of anything else while I am at it . Thanks to all .

Last edited by maxwerks; 10-05-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: title