E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Service Plan A and Service Plan B Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Service Plan A and Service Plan B Question

What is the difference between the Service Plan A and B? I believe the Service Plan A is to signify an oil change; is that correct? And if it is, what does the Service Plan B indicate? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 4MATIC
Service B is a sham. Nothing more than a bunch of inspections to try to sell you something extra.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Re: Figuero

Do you have any idea what the inspection covers and what the mileage or time interval is for the Service Plan B? I am planning on replacing the cabin and charcoal filters myself but because I just purchased the car, there may be other general maintenance issues that need resolved. My Service Plan B light states that it needs attention in 3oo-miles. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Figuero
Service B is a sham. Nothing more than a bunch of inspections to try to sell you something extra.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Found It...

If anyone is interested, I managed to find a breakdown of both service plans. I still don't know what the interval is for the Plan B but is certainly seems rather redundant to service Plan A. Here's a link to both: http://germanrepairshop.com/html/mercedes_plan_b.html

Last edited by n2it; 12-20-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Here is a list of the requirements for a 1998 E320. There is a small booklet called 'Service Booklet' which describes the requirements for your vehicle.

The B Service includes an A Service so it's alternating A then B then A, etc.

The FSS built into your car's computer will tell you when to perform service. The FSS must be reset after a service to 10K. A procedure is in the owners manual and online. The actual time/mileage depends on how you drive. At 1 year for low mileage cars ( <10K/yr) and up to 18K for high mileage/highway drivers.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...s-bservice.pdf

Last edited by RichardM98; 12-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Re: Richard

So, if I just had a complete vehicle inspection, which I did, than I can safely reset the Service Plan B light and I will be back on the MB suggested service rotation? The A Plan light was reset when the inspection was performed but because the shop was not a certified MB shop, I am assuming that they simply forgot the Service Plan B light. Sound reasonable?

Originally Posted by RichardM98
Here is a list of the requirements for a 1998 E320. There is a small booklet called 'Service Booklet' which describes the requirements for your vehicle.

The B Service includes an A Service so it's alternating A then B then A, etc.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...s-bservice.pdf
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
A and B both involve an oil change. B involves more inspections.

If you can do an oil and filter change yourself...save a load of dollars. The rest is just designed to worry you. Anybody can inspect their brakes for instance...or pay the dealer loads.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 AM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by n2it
So, if I just had a complete vehicle inspection, which I did, than I can safely reset the Service Plan B light and I will be back on the MB suggested service rotation? The A Plan light was reset when the inspection was performed but because the shop was not a certified MB shop, I am assuming that they simply forgot the Service Plan B light. Sound reasonable?
Yes...sounds about normal.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by renault12ts
A and B both involve an oil change. B involves more inspections.

If you can do an oil and filter change yourself...save a load of dollars. The rest is just designed to worry you. Anybody can inspect their brakes for instance...or pay the dealer loads.
I wouldn't say that the inspections are designed to worry anyone. They are required to help ensure that you don't get stranded on the side of the road with an issue -- for example a broken serpentine drive belt that will for all practical purposes strand you on the roadside. Other items are checks for leaks, periodic brake fluid flushes, Coolant checks and changes when needed, changing the cabin air filters, engine air filter, fuel filter, checking the brakes, checking the suspension components and the driveline components. These inspections are what many call preventive maintenance which is done at a time and place of your chosing and not required as a result of a breakdown on the roadside requiring a tow truck and great expense. If you have the knowledge, tools and access to a lift you can do these checks and service items along with the oil and filter changes and save a bunch of money. Just make sure you know what you are doing and that it gets done.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by edwinwalke
I wouldn't say that the inspections are designed to worry anyone. They are required to help ensure that you don't get stranded on the side of the road with an issue -- for example a broken serpentine drive belt that will for all practical purposes strand you on the roadside. Other items are checks for leaks, periodic brake fluid flushes, Coolant checks and changes when needed, changing the cabin air filters, engine air filter, fuel filter, checking the brakes, checking the suspension components and the driveline components. These inspections are what many call preventive maintenance which is done at a time and place of your chosing and not required as a result of a breakdown on the roadside requiring a tow truck and great expense. If you have the knowledge, tools and access to a lift you can do these checks and service items along with the oil and filter changes and save a bunch of money. Just make sure you know what you are doing and that it gets done.
You are right...but many of these can be done yourself. These cars on getting old now, and the expense of a dealer service is not always appreciated.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 4MATIC
Any good Indie will do the truely necessary safety related inspections as part of an oil change if you ask them. Brakes/belts/tires/hoses/fluids

The nit picky stuff you can do yourself with minimal skills and tools.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM

W215 CL500 2005
Even the oil change is easy if you use a pump.