E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

In the market for a 99-02 E-class any recommendations? Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210
In the market for a 99-02 E-class any recommendations? Help.

Hi MB world...my name is Kenny and I'm from SoCal. I'm in the market for a 99-02 E-class and was wondering what to look out for as far as problems and such. I'm going to be looking at a couple today from Craigslist, I'm leaning towards the 430 with the V8. Any issues that these cars bring that I should know about? I like the 00-02 better because of the facelift. What are the common problems on these cars? Any certain year or model I should stay away from? Any help would be appreciated guys, Thanks!

-Kenny
Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Common wear items on these used cars include balljoints, lower control arm bushings, and motor mounts. They're not big deals really. Valve cover gasket leaks are also common on these cars as they're 10 years old at the least now. Make sure the transmission has been serviced regularly. Overall they're solid cars, but you do get the occasional sensors breaking or rear window regulators. My 02 E55 is for sale btw if you're interested.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:58 PM

W210
Ok good to know sir, what's the mileage and price on the E55?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Look at the top of the forum

common issues
also www.benzworld.org w210 diy stickies at the top of the forum.
You might be surprised with the power of a 320 so don't rule it out.
Or look at an E55 if you want all the power and options and don't mind the price of fuel.
W210 wiki on google is another good info source to bring you up to speed on the w210 model.
Have it fully inspected by a pro if you yourself are not a really advanced car person.
I.E. scanned for stored codes,erased codes,accident damage,rust etc.
in addition to all the others mentioned above.
Take your time,don't jump on the first one you see,avoid dealers you are in the meca of used mercedes you will find a great one if you take your time and
Inspect,Inspect,Inspect.

last suggestion if you are not going to diy your easy regular maint items or find a good indie shop that deals fair prices or have deep pockets go into it with eyes wide open.
We are always amazed when some member complains about an $880 spark plug change at the dealer when all they needed to do was get the special wrench and spend a few hours and less than 100 bucks to do the job themselves. You made the right choice checking the forum first,so I suspect you will have a great time when you find the cherry W210
Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM

W210
Originally Posted by ohlord
common issues
also www.benzworld.org w210 diy stickies at the top of the forum.
You might be surprised with the power of a 320 so don't rule it out.
Or look at an E55 if you want all the power and options and don't mind the price of fuel.
W210 wiki on google is another good info source to bring you up to speed on the w210 model.
Have it fully inspected by a pro if you yourself are not a really advanced car person.
I.E. scanned for stored codes,erased codes,accident damage,rust etc.
in addition to all the others mentioned above.
Take your time,don't jump on the first one you see,avoid dealers you are in the meca of used mercedes you will find a great one if you take your time and
Inspect,Inspect,Inspect.

last suggestion if you are not going to diy your easy regular maint items or find a good indie shop that deals fair prices or have deep pockets go into it with eyes wide open.
We are always amazed when some member complains about an $880 spark plug change at the dealer when all they needed to do was get the special wrench and spend a few hours and less than 100 bucks to do the job themselves. You made the right choice checking the forum first,so I suspect you will have a great time when you find the cherry W210
Very helpful info brotha, I've been hunting on CL all week and I'm so anxious to just jump on one but since I'm going to be new to the Benz world I'm trying to gather as much info and knowledge on the W210 as possible before I jump the gun. I'm trying to look for one with 120K or less right know.

What do you guys think about this one?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2788963572.html

Also what's the difference between the 430 and the 320? Obviously the motor but I'm sure there is other things correct?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
I just went through this process myself and purchased a 2000 E320. ohlord is absolutely spot on. Do your research...CarFax and the other car reports are OK but they are only as complete as the entities that are reporting issues to them. i.e... if you use an indy to do all of your service work, that will never appear on a CarFax. If the previous owner did all of their work at a MB Dealer, all of the service work will be on record. Likewise, if a body shop performed repair work with no insurance report, that accident or repair will NOT be reflected on a CarFax. Moral of the story: don't rely too heavily on these types of services. Things that I found on my car that needed addressed: motor and transmission mounts (very typical), tie rod end, very minor surface rust. Other than that, I got very lucky and found a very well maintained vehicle. I've owned many vehicles in my day and I have to tell you, I am very impressed with this E320. It is very fast and quick, has a great ride, and gets very good gas mileage (35mpg on the hwy). Both this board and BenzWorld have been great assets to me and I am sure if you take the time to do a little research and reading, they will both be a tremendous resource for you as well. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Power

about 4-5 mpg less hway. Some options.
Anyone that quotes KBB is either looking for a chump,is a chump,or is a curbstoner. beware.
See a low mile under 85K down in Huntington beach get it inspected if it passes offer 8k cash
For Sale by Owner
01 Mercedes E430 Sport , 84K orig.miles, In excellent condition in and out.
Silver with Gray interior. Auto, V8. Premium and Sports Packages.
Heated seats, sunroof,...
New brakes, new rotors. Just serviced at Fletcher Jones Newport Bch.
New smog test and registration.
If they took care of it at FJ you know they had the moohla and did not mind being screwed.They probably are looking at a new benz and were offered 6K in trade you might offer lower than 8k don't hurt to ask.
Inspect,inspect,inspect.....
be prepared to travel don't just look in your local area
at times it pays to go way out.
What color you looking for?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM

W210
Originally Posted by ohlord
about 4-5 mpg less hway. Some options.
Anyone that quotes KBB is either looking for a chump,is a chump,or is a curbstoner. beware.
See a low mile under 85K down in Huntington beach get it inspected if it passes offer 8k cash
For Sale by Owner
01 Mercedes E430 Sport , 84K orig.miles, In excellent condition in and out.
Silver with Gray interior. Auto, V8. Premium and Sports Packages.
Heated seats, sunroof,...
New brakes, new rotors. Just serviced at Fletcher Jones Newport Bch.
New smog test and registration.
If they took care of it at FJ you know they had the moohla and did not mind being screwed.They probably are looking at a new benz and were offered 6K in trade you might offer lower than 8k don't hurt to ask.
Inspect,inspect,inspect.....
be prepared to travel don't just look in your local area
at times it pays to go way out.
What color you looking for?
Yup I saw that one too but he wants 9.9K...that's out of my budget. I'm looking to spend from 6-8.5K... I leaning towards silver or white, either one would work. I REALLY like the ones that have the real thin chrome trim around the moldings. I've searched as far as San Diego and I.E. I was thinking at looking at some in Vegas but had second thoughts because of how hot the weather gets over there during the summer and I'm worried about paint, interior condition.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What they want

and what they will take are two completely different things.
Cash talks,knowing what you are looking at and talking about helps.
Bet they would take 8K

White will remain looking best when taken care of.
Have you looked into e320 wagons? Very sharp when modded properly

Meaning no 19 or 20 inch rims

use firefox modify as instructed and search craigslist using crazedlist.org

Don't be shy when making an offer,it's just like asking someone on a date that you think is out of your league. Just the art of asking is often a success.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by UNFADEABLE
Ok good to know sir, what's the mileage and price on the E55?
136k mi asking $12.5k. Its a little higher than what you're looking for but I have done a good amount of work on the car.

Here is a link to my craigslist ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2778382099.html
Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM

2011 C 300 2001 E 430
I have an E 430 2001 and have owned it since new. The reason I bought the 430 is that it has more power than the 320 and MBZ is noted for their very strong V-8s, that wll run trouble-free for a many years. My car has not lost any of its original power and still will run like a rocket in the desert at 100-120 mph, just as smooth and reliable as new. Overthe years, the car has cost me several thousands in repairs (mostly maintenance and because I usually go to the dealer, where I get a free loaner car and they have on many occasions caught some problems before they have become big problems, Ie transmission seal was slowly leaking, and was caught before it blew and costs me a new tranasmission, fixed for $110), however nothing major. 2 sets of plugs, 1 set of plug wires, catalytic converter window washer complete revamp, radiator ( just last week at 120k mi). It also goes thru front pads, but they may be the my wife drives the car If I had one complaint on the car it would focus on the electronics. The instrument panel constantly looses diaodes, the transmission selector cannot ( i mean CANNOT) withstand any liquid spills, since it is not protected by a ieather boot and the fluid shortens out the system and will not run. If the brake switch goes out, the car will not start. All and all, It has been a great car for the last 10+years and still runs great and the minor repairs over the years certainlly cost less than new car payments. Also I like the 01 better than the 99-00's because of the front bumper openings and the 430s do have a slightly different shape to the bac end with the swooping rear spoiler-like look. And I agree with the previous person, on NOT buying a car from Las Vegas, the summers are brutal on the rubber and paint (even it garaged, the dryness is enough).
Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
How many W210's have you driven so far? Have you driven a 430 AND a 320? I'd start by driving both and see the difference. Many people are surprised by the performance of the 320 (even the wagon). If you are looking to do a little street racing on Saturday nights then probably a w210 is not the right car.

Start by setting aside 20-25% of your budget for after purchase issues. You're buying a used car from a total stranger. Do you feel lucky? Don't worry too much about miles on the odometer but do worry greatly about how well the car has been taken care of. There should be written records of all regular service and repairs with the car. If that information is missing that's a red flag. If only a little is missing maybe only a yellow flag. Someone who is careful about taking care of their car will have records and someone who doesn't won't. Cosmetics are least important since it's easy to drop a car off and get a quick 'detail'. When you think you have a winner, have a professional inspection done by MB mechanic. It will probably cost about $150-$200 and should provide a written report on what was inspected and the conclusions. If someone won't let you take it to be inspected (before purchase), thank them for their time and move on. Luxury cars are not cheap to maintain. DIY makes it reasonable, a indie is not too bad but the dealer is painful. Be sure you understand that part of the equation.

Assuming a potential purchase needs some work (either routine service or repairs), post out here and we'll give you an idea of what the costs are. Then you can either deduct that from their asking price or ask them to make the repairs before the sale.

The good news is that there are a lot of W210's in Southern California. Competition = lower prices. Do your homework and take your time looking. Besides CL you can look on eBay for cars in SoCal as well as in the classified sections of sites like this.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
RichardM98, excellent post and I could not agree more.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Check out auto trader.com as well. Open your search to a wide area and be selective of the options you wish to have ie., heated seats or factory xenons or multi contour seats, etc. Look at the detail in the cleanliness of the vehicle, especially underneath it. Look for rust. Look for wear in the interior. The MB tex interior wears like iron and looks as good a leather w/o the character lines. If leather has it been maintained regularly? Mileage should not be a roadblock. These cars have an 8.3 quart oil pan which is overbuilt. Provided it has been taken care of. Pull a plug and inspect, same for the dipstick and / or valve cover. Remember it is your money on something that has been used so do not be afraid to ask and to look with qualified eyes.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM

W210
Well the search is over guys, I picked up my car from a private seller on Craigslist on Friday night after looking at 5 different ones. I ended up picking up a 00' E320 in white from a older lady who always garaged it and has all the maintenance records. The car has 72K on the clock and the condition is absolutely mint! I honestly couldn't be happier.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Congratulations! Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Very Nice! I know you'll love it as much as I love mine...same year by the way.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Clean!!! Low miles too! Best of luck with it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
great job and well searched! Now when does the modding start!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM

2011 C 300 2001 E 430
Congrats on the car. The "little Ole Lady from Pasadena" car, Everyone's dream of a used car. Now really check the forum for the little naggy things that you will need to know. One is to know how to use the pencil in the tranny selector to disengage the parking feature, so that you will be able to drive the car when you encounter, brakeswitch light problems or need the car towed. The DIY section is great and very informative and will help you save a bundle of money. Expect to encounter little electronic problems (probably the biggerst flaw in the car). The engines and drivetrain are strong and will last a long time ( with proper maintenance) Make sure to change all fluids and filters according to MFR recs. Most of us use Mobil 1 synthetic oil (5-40) and to use OEM parts since they are really designed for the car and very reliable ( with exception to brake pads, which will put off black dust, then you will want low dust pads, non OEM). Good luck with the car!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Very nice looking car, congratulations. Now check the maintenance records to see if the transmission has been serviced. If not you're due.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by n2it
Very Nice! I know you'll love it as much as I love mine...same year by the way.
Yep...nice in white.