E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Window tinting w/metallic film or regular LLumar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2000 w/GPS
Question Window tinting w/metallic film or regular LLumar

Guys,

I am getting my window tinting next week, this shop offers two types of films, one is by LLumar, the other one is some high performance metallic tint by Solar guard I think. I do have GPS on my 2000 E320. I was thinking tint the both left & right 4 windows with Metallic and rear window with llumarar. or just go with Metallic all the way, since I don't really listens to AM radio. people are saying Metallic film interferies with AM reception. in my opinion as long as it won't effect the GPS or FM station, it should be ok, but don't know about weather band though. I heard Metallic tint blocks more UV and film are last longer. I am thinking about doing 35% on all the windows. or 35% front and 20% all rear! any suggestions? thanks.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Search "tint" or "window tinting" in this forum as we discussed this before. Metallic window tinting is fine and looks great but it doesn't only interfere with the AM frequency but your NAV and cell. phone also. If you choose metallic, when the weather permits, keep your sunroof open or windows cracked for better reception when using these items.

I prefer Madico as my tint of choice and have worked with and used it for many years.

As for the darkness, I have 35% on my two front doors and 20% on the rear five windows. I also have black interior so my tint will look a bit darker. If you want a lighter, classier look then you want to go with 35% all around but I would still do 20% on the rear window as it is large, and 35% is too light for me.

Also, make sure that they know how to install the felt strip on all of your window rubber weatherstrips as the tint is know to be scratched in Benzes. I personally don't have the felt strips in yet but I hardly roll down my windows and I haven't noticed any scratches yet. I plan to have the felt installed though shortly.

These are just my opinions though so good luck with your choices and tinting.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:03 PM

320 CDI - 560 SEL
Had my 210 tinted with Diamond metal tint. Results: excellent heat reduction, good appearance, severely reduced AM and FM reception.

Purchased a through the glass AM/FM antenna, cut a footprint in the film, purchased an adapter for the radio connection. Results: poorer reception than I had with the standard, metal tinted setup.

Went back to the tint shop & had them remove the metal tint from the back window and replace w/non-metal tint. Result: radio reception is now somewhere between no metal tint and all metal tint.

I drive long distances in an area where the " sky is not cloudy all day" and need the extra heat reduction metal allows, therefore I retained metal on the side windows.

Non-metal tint will fade in time (5-10 yrs.) and will have to be replaced. UV reduction numbers of the two types are virtually identical. Heat reduction is similar, with the edge going to the metal types.

If I were living in your area and driving less than 60k per year I would not even consider metal tinting of the windows. A good quality non-metal will appear and function well.

Most shops will replace film when it fades if you ask before the purchase.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:00 AM

E320 2000 w/GPS
I'll probably do the rear windshield non-metal and 4 sides metal. Don't know if it will look funny or not. I'll ask the guy at tint shop see if the color will match. If not, I'll just do the non-metal all the way. since I don't want any interference with GPS. Don't really care about AM station that much. I think the weather station is on AM? sometime is useful. thanks
Old 06-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 E320
Curious about the reception issue.

Do you all who have this poor reception issue have the stock radio or do you have aftermarket ones? If you have aftermarket radios what types do you have?
Thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 11:04 AM

320 CDI - 560 SEL
Das E,

Bose premium. Worked extremely well prior to the tint. Post tint, not worth beans - or anything else.

If I didn't live in nearly constant full sun I would go with non-metal.