E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

How to troubleshoot a few minor issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
How to troubleshoot a few minor issues

Question # (1)

Okay so can anyone help me I am having an issue with the defrost on my e420 1997. It works fine but every time i turn it on it stays on high. I have tried to turn it down using the standard button that i turn down heat level but no success. can anyone help me?

Question # (2)

I have an annoying ticking sound coming from under the hood I have heard that it is the oil tube lifters and also the oil connector but no real answer. Now when the gas level is low the noise decreases but when the gas is on a full tank I receive a ticking of a lifetime!!!! this noise SUCKS and I want it to go away I am tired of driving around sounding like I have a built in Grandfather clock under my hood... HELP PLEASE!!!!!! (SIDENOTE) I will be getting a full tune up tomorrow 1/12/2012 fuel filter air filter spark plugs tranny flush with fluid from dealer and radiator flush in a chance of stopping this noise.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM

W210 E300D
As for your defrost, that's the way it works(read the manual), I never had to use mine so far, cause if you're in heating mode, it selects the vents pointing at the windshield for you, or you can manually select them to pint that way with a mode button and still have full control of everything else. The windshield defrost button is really meant an emergency quick defrost, don't confuse it with rear window defrost.

As for your clicking noise do a proper search, but I would start by locking at the little round valve located next to your ABS pump I believe, it has two wires and two tube coming to it and usually makes a clicking noise.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 AM

1997 E420
Thanks a million read the manual and your absolutely right the defrost is designed to be for a quick defrost. and I've just kept the heat control on a respectable balance and the car remained unfogged. As for the clicking sound its coming from the motor area not the brake area you where talking about I can't find a direct location but I am pretty certain it is not the brake area. I took my car in today for a tune up and my mechanic mentioned a gasket. (which I purchased) although he said the parts I bought for the tune up should fix the issue so we will see how this goes and I will notify you if the ticking stops.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 AM

W210 E300D
Good luck with that, I'm not familiar with MB gas engines, but that little valve was worth a shot.