E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

96 E300D Headlights will not turn off PLEASE Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E300D
96 E300D Headlights will not turn off PLEASE Help

Gentlemen,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I have a 96 E300D that was in a rain storm in Houston recently and got about 2 inches of water in the floor board. The factory plug by the battery was missing (bought car second hand) and water got into the floorboard before the car was moved to higher ground. After a couple of hours an attempt to start the car was made, however the battery was dead. All the water was removed and fans implemented to dry out the floorboard. A charge was put on the car but the battery never charged. A trip to Oreilly's and 125.00 later a new battery was installed by my oldest son. The car started with no problems. This is were it gets weird to me. After killing the ignition, One of the low beams remained on as well as the opposite side driving light (Not the high beam). The switch is off and these lights stay on. The positive battery terminal is off a present until I get back onshore to dig further into this issue.<o:p></o:p>
Has anyone had this type of issue before?<o:p></o:p>
Any resources out there that can help to solve this issue?<o:p></o:p>
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Jay<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Great Forum by the way. Have have learned alot for all the great folks here and hope to help out as I learn more.<o:p></o:p>
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You are going to need

to pull all the fuses in the fuse box next to the battery,clean with electronic parts/tuner cleaner or crc maf cleaner. clean if need be any corrosion on the fuse links.
Something is shorting to ground and keeping the lights on and also most likely drained the old battery and will end up doing the same thing to the new one.
Did your boy make sure to hook up the battery vent tube. A must for the battery stored in the drive compartment.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E300D
Pretty sure this is what drained the battery.
I was told this stuff was dry, but that was from the wife. Currently not at the house, so first thing monday when I get home I will go completely through it. Not sure about the vent but I will check myself.
Thanks for the info and will post what I find Monday.
Jay