E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Headlight options for factory xenons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E430 Sport
Headlight options for factory xenons

Hello,

I'm new to the Mercedes forums but have been around BMW's and Volkswagens for years. I've acquired a 99 E430 Sport and I'm looking to purchase the DEPO "facelift" projector headlights. Car has stock xenons using the older style original headlights that have the auto leveling. I know there is probable an OEM route to go but I can't justify spending that money on lights. Anyone aware of the workaround for this?

Thanks for any help. Looking forward to using MBWorld for future upgrades and DIY referencing.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
some people here put OEM xenon projectors into the depo headlights and end up with a nice beam pattern. Others have gone the standard route and just thrown an aftermarket HID into the depo headlights.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM

W210 E430 Sport
Well I don't want to break up the headlights.

This guy states he can offer these with built in HID's and an adapter kit to work on OEM HID setups. I just reached out to him to see how it works...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150733731999...#ht_3375wt_905
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM

W210 E300D
As to what's written in his description he'll simply insert HID bulbs + ballasts into this DEPO Halogen headlights, with the necessary resistors to fool the Bulb Check Message. This upgrade is mainly intended for the cars with Halogen headlights as stated in the description. So in reality this translates to you most likely loosing the self leveling part and unlike the MOD which requires dis-assembly you won't be getting bi-xenon or a quality projector either.
Of course this info should be confirmed with the seller, but that's what you'll usually get...

Using the dis-assembly method however you can transfer your stock self-leveling feature and ballast, as well as retro-fit a better-quality projector, capable of Bi-Xenon.

Oh and reagardless of weather you decide to buy the light from him or elsewhere, or dis-assemble it, make sure you water-proof it(with silicone, for example) where clear plastic meets the black housing as these replacement Headlights will often fog-up if you don't. Trust me it's much easier to do right away, rather then having to take them off, in the event that they do fog up.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
some people here put OEM xenon projectors into the depo headlights and end up with a nice beam pattern. Others have gone the standard route and just thrown an aftermarket HID into the depo headlights.
you cannot use the xenon OEM 'projectors' from the original setup as it was not a projector design by Hella. you must use 'projectors from a newer model year to make that idea work and not w/o a fair bit of crafting.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
Although I understand the temptation to get the projector look headlights, your original headlights are going to provide much higher quality light (and fit/finish) over the depos - even if you refit them with xenon projectors. If your lenses are clouded, there are many services that will refinish them for you or you can DIY.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 PM

W210 E300D
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy
Although I understand the temptation to get the projector look headlights, your original headlights are going to provide much higher quality light (and fit/finish) over the depos - even if you refit them with xenon projectors.
That is not true, all the reflectors in the outer glass of the factory headlight absorbs a significant amount of light, reducing the final output, not to mention the lack of a Xenon Hi-Beam, if you do a retrofit with quality Bi-Xenon projectors inside the Depo light you get a significantly superior lighting see the comparison pics in the DIY:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-retro-5.html

Scroll down to see comparaison Depo vs Depo with a good projector.

So a Depo from E-Bay with HID kit without projector might be inferior to he OEM HID, but retrofited with a decent projector it's a whole different story.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 AM

1997 E420
I don't disagree that a quality depo projector retrofit is hands down better than halogen depo's -- as far as light output. But I don't think depo housings are as good as OEM. Mine are not looking so fresh after only a couple of years. The sealant is just one of the weak points and many of them end up fogging with moisture (yes I realize you can bake them in the oven and then reseal them). You can tell just by holding the damn things that they are not the highest quality. So that is what I'm talking about with fit/finish. So after having owned Depo's for awhile on my E420, I've decided that when I buy an E55 I'm going to stick with the factory xenons. (And I'm not going to buy an E55 from an owner who has unfortunately made this "upgrade".) I believe that people who already have factory xenons are making the change for the look of the projector housing more than light quality. So I'm pointing out that the depo projector housings are not that great in this regard.

And, you don't have to worry about your car catching fire sticking with the factory xenons vs a hid kit.

All that being said, I'm probably going to buy NEW depo housings to replace the deteriorating two year old ones that I have and will be doing the projector retrofit since light output sucks on the factory halogens. For now, I've just installed osram bulbs.

Last edited by CA_Tallguy; 01-17-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 AM

W210 E300D
I agree about the quality, but here's some thing you can do to improve it a bit, first of all when you do the retrofit, you open up the Headlight that would be the time to clean up their glue and put in some quality one, which will seal a lot better. As for the outer glass there's a number of products which will protect it from UV rays which in part causes the deterioration, you can also opt for the protective film to be installed, if you have it installed prior to mounting the Headlight it will be virtually seamless. Now the last portion, I'm not sure about the feasibility, but you can attempt transferring everything into the factory housing and only keeping the Depo outer transparent shell and reflectors, since you're already dis-assembling everything it won't be that much extra-work, this would further reduce the moisture intake and improve fit, although you would have to check if it can be done first.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
note: the OEM headlights (both reflector as well as projector based designs)
have generated enough fogging complaints that they have their own technical
service bulletins published. in addition, the majority of the fogging isn't caused
by leakage but the result of insufficient venting.

leaks would cause large water droplets, whereas fogging is usually the result of
warm vapor (from engine compartment) condensing on cold surface (outer lens)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM

1997 E420
I wish there were a better quality aftermarket headlight available. I think the BMW guys have some projector retrofit options with glass covers on the units. Seems like glass covers on the front would make for a MUCH better unit on ours as well. 99% of what looks bad about both OEM and Depo's is the deteriorating plastic cover in the front.