E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 E230 Uncomfortable ride.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E230 98'
W210 E230 Uncomfortable ride.

Hey guys, very new to this and i recently got a E230 w210 which was handed to me when my dad passed last year. its an amazing car and a shift from a proton waja 1.6 to this baby is just an amazing upgrade. however i've spent a lot on reapairs, mostly just wear and tear. it has about 480k km on it as it was bought brand new in 98. the gearbox has been overhauled and a top overhaul of the engine has been done before. I've changed the front ball joins, upper arms, lower arm bushings, the back suspension links and arms, i've changed all 4 shocks to the oem shocks. couple of other things i can't remember at the top of my head now.

however i'm experiencing a very discomfort ride from it on the highways where it seems to be boucing a lot. now i know that this is the elegance model so its much softer, however the bounce is very uneven like its limping on one side. its got to a point that everytime there is an uneven surface on the road, the car bounces left to right like a see-saw and the steering wheel turns left to right too.. now, in parking lots, when i take a full corner, the car seems to be jumping/limping/slipping?? the limping on the highway is very noticeable on the rear passenger right side. the mechanics has apparently checked all the arms and said that nothing seems to be wrong..

the only option left now is the springs as the mechanic tells me, however i thought i'd check on here and see what do you other w210 owners of this series think about this. i'm using 15 inch tires, the orignal rims as it came with the car and the original tire size, 205/65/15 michelin energy xm1.

any ideas? i used to love driving the car as the comfort and stability was amazing.. now i'm just dreading the ride and i want to try and restore the drive.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Is your mechanic a regular one or is this an MB dealership mechanic? When did you change your suspension (and everything else) and who did it? An MB dealership or an independent mechanic? Seems to be a fairly straightforward rear suspension issue that may involve the perch, struts, or sway bar; that should be diagnosed within 10 minutes by a good mechanic. So the question really is - How good is your mechanic?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E230 98'
Hello, well the mechanics are not mb direct dealerships but are independant mechanics who were authorized mechanics at mb who left to start their own workshop. well all the replacements were made in about a year now.. suspension was changed to the oem ones, all 4.