E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Haven't decided on the exhaust yet but probably something that's got a bit of noise, like Carlsson or Schwartz. However, my mechanic said he could do something to the AMG's make them speak up (hope its not soemthing like putting a hole in the muffler!). My main criterion at this stage is shape and sound (not too concerned about performance since I'm only worried about looks and I assume there's not much difference between the top brands(?)).

Fanatic: please do email me those photos. You can reach me on the email function below this thread but if you fail (since that email's got a pretty small capacity) try this one:

davelow@ctimail3.com

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Whitey, where are you again? Also, I personally like the oval type tips like the AMG but I also wouldn't mind the Carlsson exhaust. I guess it's just personal preference. Nice pics. of the Benz's by the way.

If you're going to do the add-on lip, I personally like the Carlsson a lot better than the Brabus because of its styling. The Brabus looks too "plane jane" for me like nothing was even done if you know what I mean.

If anyone is interested, I might have another Carlsson full front bumper brand new in the box becoming available in the next few days but I will let you know. I will probably put it on ebay unless someone hear really wants it and wants to pay full price on it. The bumper and the airfreight to LA was around $1250.00. I will post it in the classifieds if and when it becomes avail. so be on the lookout, probably by the end of the week...
Old 06-30-2003, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Jimmy, r u trading in these things or something? I'd love a set but of course, its gonna be a bit difficult (and expensive) where I am.

There story is, the Carlsson add-on I saw was already painted (although the inside looks quite new).....ummm, so I made the guy a counter offer but he refused - deal off. It'll take two months if I ordered from the local importer and the deal I got for the AMG set was similar to a brand new Carlsson add-on(considering the Euro has gone up so much recently, that's an old price=great deal).

Now that I'm left with the std AMG look, wonder what its gonna look like - never seen a white E55 before (if anyone has pics, pls post them). Would also love to attach the F-Class lip but can't buy them here either.....grrrr, very frustrating.

Will post pictures when done at the end of the week.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Whitey
Jimmy: I agree with your comment on the Carlsson side rockers but prefer something that's got a little bit more contour - ever seen the Wald (Version 2) rockers for this vintage?

Whitey.
Yes I have and it's nice. If you like "contour" then you will probably like the MY00+ Sport or E55 side rockers. But you will have to go with the same rear bumper as well to tie in all of the lines.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No I am not trading them but had a very hard time trying to get my bumper and all of a sudden came across someone else who had one to get rid of also so I bought it. Go into the E55 forum and ask someone to send you some pics. of a white one. Alexbenz on this forum has a pre-facelift 96-99 W210 in white and has the Carlsson full front bumper and 2000+ AMG Sport/E55 side rockers and rear bumper. Ask him to send you some pics...
Old 06-30-2003, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Same problem, we don't get Sport versions here.........how I wished I'm based in the States. Seems they only cater for the Japanese cars - we get all the best supped up versions and a vast array of body kits and mods here (the ones the dealers don't import, there's a massive grey market for them). I guess the mod market for European cars is limited as those brands are predominantly accessible by the "established" (hence conservative) people - really quite sad.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Same problem, we don't get Sport versions here.........how I wished I'm based in the States. Seems they only cater for the Japanese cars - we get all the best supped up versions and a vast array of body kits and mods here (the ones the dealers don't import, there's a massive grey market for them). I guess the mod market for European cars is limited as those brands are predominantly accessible by the "established" (hence conservative) people - really quite sad.
That is truly unfortunate. But you can always try and find a bright side by researching every avail. company in HK that produces different body kits for your Benz (if you haven't already done that). You might come across something just as nice if not nicer than what's avail. here to us in the USA. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2003, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks for the encouragement Jimmy but its such a small market than nobody produces kits locally (except fibreglass replicas of AMGs and strangely, Lorinsers - yuck!). Also, buying them in bits i.e. separately so that I can have a mix of brands is not common.

I've given up, to the 1st generation AMG (paying about US$2.6K fully installed, how's that compare to the States - anybody?).

Booked it into the workshop on Wednesday - hopefully get it back by Saturday. The fact that's white is a worry tho'..........

As for the exhaust, I saw and heard the Sebring and quite liked it although I also like the oval AMGs which is marginally cheaper (only drawback is its too quiet - many say its no different to the original one).
Old 07-01-2003, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an import
Whitey,

Glad you got the pics and thanks for the other link. Yeah it's a tough choice to go Brabus, but like I said before it's subtle enough that those in the know will appreciate it for what it is and not become a heat rocket for trouble everywhere else. Too many punks out there now that I don't want to worry about the car when I park it for dinner or a night out.

There is nothing wrong with picking the AMG package for the car. The kit still looks sharp but the only reason I don't like it is that since MB took over AMG, every second or third car sold here has the AMG appearance package. The mystique is now gone with AMG because I see it everywhere but it may be different in HK.

It was probablly a good thing to walk away from the used Carlsson. You don't want to spend a mint on the item to find problems later on during installation.

Did you pick up the entier AMG kit? Jimmy is right about the lines. With this kit you pretty much have to go all AMG to keep the lines consistant from front to back. Otherwise it won't flow and may look ackward.

Have you changed the wheels and dropped the car yet or are you still rolling on stockies? It would look fabulous with 18's and a 1.5-2" drop.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Sure did Fanatic. Got the entire kit - the only way to get them out here it seems. I dropped the suspensions and got 18"ers as soon as I picked up the car exactly a year ago. That's another reason for picking the AMG kit as I've got a set of AMG monoblock style II's (seemed a subtle complement to the stock body at the time) which means I won't need to dish out on new wheels - until of course, I opt for the 19" setup.

I'm using Eibach springs on stock Advantgarde shocks which seemed to have dropped the rear too much more than the front (to the extent that the top of the rear tires hide slightly behind the wheel arch) so I've had to change the front spring rubber/washer to the thinnest available. From what I can see, the set up is lower than the standard AMG lowering kit. Nonetheless, the ride has remained remarkably subtle, without the floaty feeling whilst handling has improved tremedously - not to mention the slightly sleeker look.

As for tires, I'm using the factory recommended 265/35 on the rears but thinner 225/40 in the front (as recommended by my mechanic to ligthen steering). He also suggested for me to use 255/35 in the rear for a quicker response and I tried but thought it didn't "look" mean enough.

You're right, it takes a conniseur to spot the Brabus kit, which is why I think spending the extra $$ on it is not worth it - not too many people in the know out here! AMG genuines and wannabes are very common here - the very reason why I am reluctant to pick it.........but probably for the same reasons why I ended up with the kit - no choice and price!).
Old 07-07-2003, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by jimmydagreek
Whitey, where are you again? Also, I personally like the oval type tips like the AMG but I also wouldn't mind the Carlsson exhaust. I guess it's just personal preference. Nice pics. of the Benz's by the way.

Jimmy, finally got my babe back. Turned out the AMG kit actually looks a lot better than I'd expected and somehow on white its quite sharp. Also to my surprise, the Sebring exhaust looks nothing like what I was shown by an assistant (explanation from my mechanic was the one I saw was not for the V6 I have). Nonetheless, it sounds great with a remarkably solid grunt. Appearance wise, the design's quite unusual - oval outside with a trapezium (I think thats what its called ) hole - takes a bit of getting used to but the finish on these things are great and very solid. Here's a pic in case you're interested:
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-sebring-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by Whitey; 07-07-2003 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good job Whitey! Everything looks good. Now all you need to do is save a little cash up for some rear MY00+ taillights, either the E320/430 stock (like I have) or the E55 will look cool also. You need to post a brighter pic. of the entire rear end though to really get a feel of what it looks like and a pic. of the rest of the car wouldn't hurt as well...
Old 07-07-2003, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Yep, lights, mirrors and wheels - probably in reverse order (largest visual impact first!).

BTW, what's the difference between E55 and 00+ taillights? I always thought they're the same? IF you have pics, please post.

Intend to post some outdoor pitures - digital cameras are hopeless indoors, that's why I haven't posted them yet.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The difference between the 2 lights are E55 are tinted on the top and the 00+ are clear like on my car. Here is mine...
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-new-lr.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

and here is a pic. of James' E55...
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-show-jame55-02-e55-silver-hre-19.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks, very well explained - to be honest, never noticed the difference. If you're a handyman, I'm sure you could coat something (a thin layer of paint maybe? ) to convert yours to an E55 version. I've seen it done on other cars.

Are those rims on Jame's car HRE or Iforged? Love em :p ! I wished I could find some wheels with deep lips/deep dish like that but there's none available that'll fit my car, except a 2-pc BBS and a very ugly OZ (excessive lipping, in fact) - had a rather lengthy discussion in the wheel forum when I first joined this board - conclusion: lack of choice out here, again!
Old 07-08-2003, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, very well explained - to be honest, never noticed the difference. If you're a handyman, I'm sure you could coat something (a thin layer of paint maybe? ) to convert yours to an E55 version. I've seen it done on other cars.

Are those rims on Jame's car HRE or Iforged? Love em :p ! I wished I could find some wheels with deep lips/deep dish like that but there's none available that'll fit my car, except a 2-pc BBS and a very ugly OZ (excessive lipping, in fact) - had a rather lengthy discussion in the wheel forum when I first joined this board - conclusion: lack of choice out here, again!
I would just spend the couple hundred bucks and buy new E55 lights rather than moddying the ones I have. I just have other things to worry about at the moment and will get back to the lights in the neat future.

The rims that James has on his E55 are HRE's. They are very nice but very expensive as well and a little to rich for my blood at the moment. But if and when I get my E55, I think I would probably go with the HRE's.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by jimmydagreek
I would just spend the couple hundred bucks and buy new E55 lights rather than moddying the ones I have. I just have other things to worry about at the moment and will get back to the lights in the neat future.

The rims that James has on his E55 are HRE's. They are very nice but very expensive as well and a little to rich for my blood at the moment. But if and when I get my E55, I think I would probably go with the HRE's.
Yeah, I can see they could set u back quite a bit. But no reason why you can't get them now, if you have plans to get an E55 (they'll fit both won't they?) Unless of course, you're considering the W211 version or your comment actually meant: "assuming I have enough dough to get my E55, then I could also afford to get those). - may you/we realise your/our dreams one day! (that said, a Porsche is probably next on my list if I get my way).
Old 07-08-2003, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will probably get them soon if I end up keeping my car for very much longer. I need to get a full size truck for work and then after I make a little bit more money with it, will try and go for the W211 E55. That car just makes me ! That's still some time & money away though. Also currently looking for a house. Too expensive now...
Old 07-08-2003, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
So you are human after all - so much for the Super Member status! I was beginning to think you don't have a life beyond your Benz! Fully appreciate your concerns - best of luck.

That said, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank this board and all of the guys who's helped and commented on this and other threads (especially you, Jimmy, Benz, E-Klasse, Fanatic and Luke). This board has confirmed that there's so much more to just using the Benz for communiting - I always thought I was the only nut who'd sepnd hours and $$$ on something that's already serving its original function in the first place. I like to think its "adding-value" (that is, emotional value) - sorry folks, just my sentimental side taking over........ but I mean it - keep it up boyz!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problem at all. Glad I could help with my limited knowledge being based on my own experiences with my car (with the help of a lot of people on this site) and previous experiences with my other cars. Super Member and any other member status simply means that you spend a lot of time in the forum. Spending this kind of time only ends up making you more knowledgeable about our cars and being able to share this experience with everyone else.

I also want to say thanks to everyone in here. This is what really makes me want to own a Benz!