E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit

Does anyone out there have or know where I can find a photo of the Carlsson aerokit for the old W210 E-class? I'm considering having it installed but am having problems finding one on the web - is it ugly or what?

Many thanks.

Whitey

Last edited by Whitey; 06-25-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Re: HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit

Originally posted by Whitey
Does anyone out there have or know where I can find a photo of the Carlsson aerokit for the old W210 E-class? I'm considering having it installed but am having problems finding one on the web - is it ugly or what?

Many thanks.

Whitey
Which "aerokit" are you asking about? The full Carlsson front bumper, rear bumper and rocker panel kit? You mention that you are considering purchasind one, where are you getting it from? I have the Carlsson full rear bumper on my E420 and the front full bumper is at the body shop being prep'd as we speak...
Old 06-25-2003, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks Jimmy___

I meant the 4-pc (5) bodykit - front, rear bumper and side skirts (desirably the rear wing/spoiler as well) but I'm actually more interested to see what the front looks like. Is it similar to the Brabus front spoiler for the same vintage E-Class?

I'm actually based in HK and unfortunately the choice of body kits for Mercs is very limited here (the standard German varieties only (and their knockoffs) - AMG, Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser). I quite like the FAB and Wald Version 2 (only drawback is it's fibreglass, I understand) but we can't get them locally. The Carlsson one is available here but in very short supply and no one has any pictures of them, not even the importer (he's got the goods stashed in a warehouse somewhere, away from the showroom and is reluctant to bring it in just to show me - that's what I customer service!)

I only need to see what it looks like so if you have a pic of your's, even if its unpainted, I would be forever grateful - many thanks.

Cheers
Whitey

Last edited by Whitey; 06-25-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the pic. of the Carlsson full bront bumper that belongs to another member on this forum...
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-carlsson-fr-bumper.jpg  
Old 06-26-2003, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is a pic. of the Carlsson full rear bumper on my car...
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-new-lr.jpg  
Old 06-26-2003, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is a pic. of one of my friend's Benz's with the full Carlsson rear and side rockers...
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-santos-rear-r-new.jpg  
Old 06-26-2003, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks Jimmy

That's excellent.

Hate to be a smart *** but isn't that the post-face lift (i.e. 2nd generation) version? Or have all you guys done the mirrors and tailights too?

I think it's a great improvement on the geeky standard bumper with the flat grill below the bumper.

Cheers!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it`s the 1st generation just modified, i`ve got the same one!

Chris
Old 06-26-2003, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Whitey
Thanks Jimmy

That's excellent.

Hate to be a smart *** but isn't that the post-face lift (i.e. 2nd generation) version? Or have all you guys done the mirrors and tailights too?

I think it's a great improvement on the geeky standard bumper with the flat grill below the bumper.

Cheers!
All of us in the pics. have upgraded to the MY00+ mirrors and taillights. I agree, I love the Carlsson upgraded front/rear bumpers, they look great. But like I've said before though, I don't like the side rockers one bit. Too ricey looking for my taste anyway so that's why I went with the MY00+ W210 rockers. They go a lot nicer with the lines of the Carlsson bumpers...
Old 06-26-2003, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks guys!

The local Carlsson delaer's asked me to visit them to check out their catalogue (no soft copies obviously!). From what they've described, the front is nothing like what you guys have i.e. its simply a "lip"/"Skirt"/flare attached to the orginal bumper (like the Brabus one for the old W210 and AC Schnitzer for the E36 BMWs). Maybe a spec difference in the US market or is there another version/model? I'll check them out in the next few days and keep you guys posted - very interesting..........

I'll definitely buy the set if they're what you guys have.

Jimmy: I agree with your comment on the Carlsson side rockers but prefer something that's got a little bit more contour - ever seen the Wald (Version 2) rockers for this vintage?

Many, many thanks again.

Whitey.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E420
There's always Brabus sideskirt.. Looks just like stock.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Yes, Brabus too plain for my liking - the entire set is based on simplicity which isn't a bad thing but doesn't really make the mods too outstanding - i.e. why pay (and at a premium on the AMGs and Carlssons) for something that's not going to get noticed?

Guys, any reason why you haven't stuck out your pipes?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I also like the simplicity in the Brabus sideskirts as I went with the stock MY00+ W210 side skirts. IMO, it's a Benz not a Honda and I personally like my mods clean and not to offensive. The Carlsson side skirts and not that stand outish but I just don't like the square/box like cuts on them.

As for the exhaust, I have not gotten that far yet. All my mods have been for visual purposes except for the suspension which desparetely needed help to get rid of the "floaty" feeling. As soon as the "visual" mods have been completed I will start thinking of mechanical mods such as exhaust, pulleys, intake, etc...That is if I don't sell my E420 and pick up an E55!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I hear exactly what you're saying Jimmy. I'm still getting used to keeping the Benz simple as I had a modified E36 M3 before and it sure looks a lot more aggressive.

As for the pipes, I'm going to install them once I have the body kit installed - I don't have the patience to do it in stages. Do you think round/oval (AMG, Carlsson, Schwatz etc) or square (Carlsson) would look good?

I've also figured out the problem I had with the Carlsson front end. As much as I'd really like the bumpers you guys have, seems they only stock the add-on lip type in my town. I still haven't seen it yet but I've done a mockup based on what the local dealer has described attached - can anyone confirm whether its what I'd be expecting?

Jimmy, as you seem to have pretty good ideas about appearance of the W210s (its really hard to strike a balance between agressiveness and the clean design of these), what do you think about it? I've pretty much accepted the fact that I can't get anything too extraordinary out here although I'd like to be a little difference - AMG's are too common (and I don't like the fog lamps and the flatish surface!) and IMO, Brabus is not worth the extra money.

If the pic's anything like what I'm going to get, I can sure understand why not too many people have it (hence no pics no the web!)............but may be its my only option given my budget!

Frustrated.............
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-carlsson_1.jpg  

Last edited by Whitey; 06-27-2003 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Hey Jimmy

If you're considering a 2nd generation W210 E55, I've found this (IMO) pretty nice Carlsson enhancement for it.........what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-carlsson_w210_e55.jpg  
Old 06-28-2003, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Finally got a peek at the mysterious (HK version of) Carlsson's front spoiler. Definitely Carlsson but can't figure out why its not featured anywhere on the web.

Done a "quick and dirty" photoshop rendition. Doesn't do a lot for enhancing the car's looks I think, therefore probably not worth the extra few thousand bucks? May be AMG will have to be my only option..........I just wish I could lay my hands on the Carlsson front bumpers you guys in the States have without having to spend too much more.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-carlsson_addon.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 01:54 PM

an import
Whitey,
Now that you've seen the add-on parts from Carlsson, can you confirm what material it is made from? Is the rear an add-on as well?

I am considering the Brabus kit but finding it difficult to find good quality pictures so I can see what the parts look like on the car. The only ones I have found is this:

It is subtle but just enough IMO. If you want a more agressive look, you can add on the Front CF DTM style splitter. But I do like the front add on that you posted as well from Carlsson. I'm not a big fan of the full bumper replacement designs from Carlsson and the fact that I would have to change the fog lights as well.

Just listening to how difficult it is for everyone to find the Carlsson kits has kinda ruled it out for me unless someone know who's bringing them into NA. At least Brabus has their office in Newport Beach.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Hi Fanatic

I was told it is ABS/plastic and sure feels like it. The rear is indeed an add-on, quite plain but is similar to AC Schnizter's kit for E36 3-series BMW's (the entire lower half of the rear side is cut out with square corners) - nothing like the other Benz kits.

I agree with your comment about "just enough" and Jimmy's preference for simplicity. However, I can't help feeling for another member's E55 lookalike (in the E55 section where he's addressed his thread of pics to Jimmy) that had a pretty mean looking front lip (he calls it F-Class?????) attached to the standard E55 bumper.

As for the Brabus kits, I have a few pics and will be posting them in the following threads - hope at least some of them will be new to you!

BTW, can anyone please give me their opinion about taking off the MB star on the bonnet? IMO, it looks better with bumper modifications.

Meanwhile, here's a little rendition on my own car - MB star digitally removed (Oh, also thanks and sorry to the those whose cars I've ruined in my earlier attachments!).
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-my-carlsson_no-star.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Brabus Kits....
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-w210_brabus_02.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Another...
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-w210_brabus_03.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
And another (N.B. the other 2 didn't have the right side skirts).......
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-w210_brabus_14.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Finally, one more. Hope this helps, Fanatic.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit-w210_brabus_35.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 03:23 PM

an import
Thanks

Thanks for the pics. Those are all new to me.

Yes, if you get the kit shave the front star off. The car looks that much better with a flat hood emblem (go with a benz laurel wreath or a Carlsson badge).

I found these pics of the F-Class front bumper. If I remember correctly, the owner said that he had to get it from Japan.

Looks good but don't know how difficult it would to get. Perhaps being closer it would be easier for you.

Another alternative which I like is the Auto Couture kit, but similarlly to the Wald, I think it is fiberglass. Here's a couple of pics of Peter's car from Wheelexpert before he sold it.

This kit is PIMP but also costs a BOMB.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks Fanatic

But unfortunately, I can't see your attachments (hence not sure if you've already got the photos). Any chance of attaching some of them or sending me a PM?

If you're having problems with Brabus info, my mechanic is the local Brabus rep and I'll hopefully be visiting him in the next few days (to install a (???) body kit and pipes), so let me know and I'll find out for ya.

Whitey
Old 06-29-2003, 04:14 PM

an import
Photos are bing hosted on Sony ImageStation, so I don't know if they are having problems. The photos are large thu for the Auto Couture. If you want give me your e-mail addy and I'll send the originals over.

I'll let you know if I need more info. Just sent an e-mail to Brabus asking them some questions about the kit as well.

What kind of exhaust are you getting?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! 1st generation w210 (pre-1999) Carlsson Aerokit