E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

best and lowest springs for w210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 E320
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Carlsson 1/6 with the brushed finish. Here's a pic of mine with the painted finish.

For siopaolover I'm running the H&R cupkit. In this pic it still had the factory original #5 springpads in front and #1's in back so the front was sitting a bit too high.

I've always loved your car
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Mercedes 210

My Merc need to lower..and I found this set pls comment for them ! thank you

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Exclamation

Today I just changed my suspensions is so good

Old 08-05-2017, 04:30 PM

2001 Mercedes Benz e320
y

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
heres a pic of another member's car running that setup
Attachment 380222
I've never really worked on cars or a mercedes for that matter but I know on trucks and vehicles back in the day when you cut springs 1 ring= 1inch does that apply to a e320 springs too I want to drop it about 3 inches but don't know what I would have to cit to get 3in all around
Old 08-06-2017, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by Weston Castro
I've never really worked on cars or a mercedes for that matter but I know on trucks and vehicles back in the day when you cut springs 1 ring= 1inch does that apply to a e320 springs too I want to drop it about 3 inches but don't know what I would have to cit to get 3in all around
No....no....no....no.... (just so you're sure of the answer) ;-)

There are so many variables that you cannot use that theory and
method of calculation. Here is an old thread but it does give you an
idea what factors into your drop plans:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...right-way.html

the geometry of the suspension is such that shortening the spring 3"
shorter (spring stack vertical length) will result in slightly more than
3" drop
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
1996 E320, 2018 Ducati Panigale V4S, 2012 1199 Panigale
Plus, this thread is 5 years old. Francis is on bags now.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320 Estate
Anyone try running a spring isolator or rubber hose on the top of the spring rather than a spring shim to get just a LITTLE lower without cutting?
Old 06-25-2021, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
it wont make much of a difference (if you have the smallest spring pads) but I guess you could try it.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:45 PM

E320 Estate
Originally Posted by illest
it wont make much of a difference (if you have the smallest spring pads) but I guess you could try it.
I was thinking the same thing.
The front just needs to be a half inch lower!
Old 06-25-2021, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
if you're near me, you can come by and grab the OE springs with 1 coil cut off (using medium speed cutoff wheel). just leave me a few bucks for Chick fil a sandwich and we'll call it even.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:02 PM

E320 Estate
Originally Posted by raymond g-
if you're near me, you can come by and grab the OE springs with 1 coil cut off (using medium speed cutoff wheel). just leave me a few bucks for Chick fil a sandwich and we'll call it even.
Lol, that's a kind offer, Raymond. I actually have my stock springs. I ended up with h&r sports and I'm fine tuning getting the wagon sitting right. I dropped from 4 to 1 rear spring shim and fooled around with the hydraulic arm...
Front needs a half inch and it'll be sitting perfectly.
Before cutting the h&ri decided to cut in half a an extra set of #1 shims i bought. That rubber is freaking disgusting when it gets hot from the Dremel... Ended up using a blade instead on the 2nd one. I realized after that by cutting it there or was ultimately as if i were running no shim since the top of the spring will be directly on the mount and there are no dead coils. Still get rubber, still get the centering of it... Hoping it's enough... Otherwise I'll cut 5" from the top of the spring and then play with shims from there if i over cut.

If you're local to south Florida though we should definitely grab some chik fil a at some point.

Take care!
Old 06-26-2021, 10:47 AM

E320 Estate
Okay well, I can say that I had success with trimming down a number 1 shim...most important part is the first few inches from the top on the shim...the beefy part since that's where it'll sit.
I forgot to put the metal insert back in as well but no weird noises or anything and that might have helped my case...I also took the time to remove rocks and debris from the lower spring indentation
and ensured I sat the spring back in PERFECT. I was at about 25 and a half and I'm right at 25 inches now.

Last thing I MAY do is unload the bushings...since it's tightened down at factor height it adds some height and harshness you should remove the preload from any rotational bushing...you can
do that by lowering the hub face onto a jack stand until the jack isn't holding up the car anymore then backing out the bolts enough to loosen the tension and then tighten back up. The only reason
I might NOT is it's sitting nicely now and the ride is plush as hell and I want to leave well enough alone. W210 and merc in general has been the most challenging for me to get the right stance with
the more complex suspension and combination and permutation of tire sizes and spacers for the monoblocks on the wagon.

Also, car rides great...I didn't even replace the stock shocks with 146K...I just cut the majority of the bumpstop out of the top of it. It rebounds as it should.
The following users liked this post:
raymond g- (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
haha, welcome to the club. i experimented with 3 sets of springs, 2 sets of shocks...spring pad swap outs...and over a period of 2 years before I was satisfied. it had to be a blend of firmness, stance, dampening (!) balance with the chosen springs...

I'm actually working replacing the shocks and moving back to thicker pads now that everything has settled. i'm sticking with the Bilstein heavy duty dampeners
rockstar143 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 04:47 PM

E320 Estate
I appreciate the info...
WHEN and if the dampeners go, I'll end up getting a set of Bilstein...
Funny enough I have H&R sport on my S5 on stock shocks and H&R super sport on my S4 on Bilstein B8
and they both ride pretty similarly which was what led me to just cut bump stops and nothing more.

I need to see if they will settle more...the rear hydraulic threw me off...previous owner removed the connecting rod
for it to auto level and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. I figured I'd leave well enough alone and just
leave it on the max low setting...I fooled around with it the other day and it raised the rear back to where it was PRE
lowering springs and WOULD NOT come down. I put in the #1 pads and instead of 4 and now the rear is basically
sitting with no gap to the tire...which I LOVE but visually it also causes me to think the front is too high whereas if the
rear was up a tad it would be fine. SOOOOO...with that said, rear will probably get a #2 or 3 pad to bring it up slightly
or I'll relive my 20's and end up cutting a bit off a front coil anyway to finally get it sitting exactly where I love it.

I don't want it to ride poorly either...the other day I crested a bump in the road at speed and came down hard and hit
the bump stops so I don't want to push my luck.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:53 AM

E320 Estate
Update:
Well...I didn't like the NVH that spring touching metal on top and bottom added...it was just THERE...I wasn't horrible but
there's a reason the spring shims exist and are the min thickness they are with the #1.

Put the metal insert and shim back in and cut 7" off the top of the coil...equivalent to half a coil which is what I ballparked
was the deduction in height I needed. With the rear the way it is, I could stand to cut a little more but I'm not playing that game
yet...I want to leave room for a 235 in the future...I can alternatively put a 2 or 3 shim back on the back or just hit the hydraulic arm
to pop it up a bit (it's disconnected, as mentioned).

Last edited by rockstar143; 06-28-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
Looks really good.
rockstar143 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:36 PM

E320 Estate
@illest Thanks, man...I appreciate it and thanks for sharing all your experiences as well.
I was tempted to cut the oem springs since I ended up cutting anyway but I really love how H&R
feel.

@raymond g-
Any chance either of you can point me in the direction for where to find a replacement height adjustment
rods? Previous owner's mechanic must have removed it so I have to adjust manually...which technically is okay
since I want it set to lowest at all times. I did have a ***** of a time last week though, I used the lever to prop the
*** up a smidge and I could NOT get it to drop back down after. I jacked up each side and swapped from 4 shim
to 1 and it dropped SUPER low but I'm convinced it had to do with compressing and purging whatever pressure was
left in the shocks.

I'll get to accumulators eventually although honestly it rebounds pretty well in the rear. I did crack the bleeder though
and it was DEFINITELY frothy which I'm assuming is a sign of nitrogen bubbles mixed in.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
raymond g-
Any chance either of you can point me in the direction for where to find a replacement height adjustment
rods? Previous owner's mechanic must have removed it so I have to adjust manually...which technically is okay
since I want it set to lowest at all times. I did have a ***** of a time last week though, I used the lever to prop the
*** up a smidge and I could NOT get it to drop back down after. I jacked up each side and swapped from 4 shim
to 1 and it dropped SUPER low but I'm convinced it had to do with compressing and purging whatever pressure was
left in the shocks.
the warm/hot temperature seems to have melted my brain and I'm sluggish and unclear what the term "replacement
height adjustment rod" is. do you have a photo or link or part number? thanks
Old 07-03-2021, 09:51 PM

E320 Estate
Lol

the warm/hot temperature seems to have melted my brain and I'm sluggish and unclear what the term "replacement
height adjustment rod" is. do you have a photo or link or part number? thanks
thanks for responding, man.
Discontinued pictured below
Attaching a picture

Old 07-03-2021, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
ahh, i see. unfortunately, no, because I have non air suspension and no HID and that deluxe stuff so the
term was foreign to me. if i were in the similar predicament, I would continue to search online for part
number and wrecking yard and ebay databases. surly someone would have one, you'd think. if you
have the benefit of being to drive to a pick and pull type auto yard, you may find one which you'd be
able to remove. good luck !
Old 07-04-2021, 07:22 AM

E320 Estate
ahh, i see. unfortunately, no, because I have non air suspension and no HID and that deluxe stuff so the
term was foreign to me. if i were in the similar predicament, I would continue to search online for part
number and wrecking yard and ebay databases. surly someone would have one, you'd think. if you
have the benefit of being to drive to a pick and pull type auto yard, you may find one which you'd be
able to remove. good luck !
I appreciate the response! In the meantime i kinda just treat the lever as a hydraulic switch on a 64 Impala that happens to be placed under the wagon lol. I wish they had it on the sedans, then the part would be plentiful. Have a happy 4th of July
Old 07-04-2021, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A4
Im looking at eibach for the potential better ride quality ive heard here and there. There is no specific E55 springs on their pro kit, just the 430...these are the same i assume?