E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1998 E320 4Matic: Headlights and Inside Electric Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic
1998 E320 4Matic: Headlights and Inside Electric Problems

Newbie here. I just bought a 1998 E320 4Matic. I am having a few problems

1. My left headlight and the smaller light next to it has condensation on the lens. On the right and left side, both headlights are impeccably clear, they have not oxidized. But the one does have the condensation on the plastic lens.
  2. The sunroof, as it goes back, stops every few inches. I had heard i must reset the sunroof. How should i go about this.
  3. The interior central locking button does not work what so ever. When i hit it down, i do hear the PSE working, but nothing happens. The locks all work perfectly from the key with no lag. However the button does not work or light up at all.
  4. The overhead map lights do not want to turn on.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 PM

Black 2000 E320 4Matic
1) If you mean that there is condensation in your lens you should try tightening the housing in the back (open it up as if you were going to change the bulb then close it again) if that doesn't work you might need a new housing as it is no longer air tight. It isn't a huge problem, I just try to not wash that area as long as the others.
2) The sunroof sync, you just open it and hold it for 5 seconds, then close it and hold the button for 5 seconds.
3) no idea with #3
4) Maybe your overhead map lights are burnt out or check the fuse?

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 AM

E430 4-Matic and E320 4-Matic Station Wagon
For your headlights, check and make sure that the plastic covers ar in place behind the bulbs. If not, im sure you can find them on eBay or order them from Mercedes for a decent price. If they are in place and your still having trouble with the moisture you can go to a hardware store and buy a little bit of silicone gel and very lightly coat the edge of the covers. That should keep the moisture out. For the sunroof, if the previous suggestion to resynch it doesnt work, you can also disconnect the battery and reconnect it, but have your radio code handy and be prepared to re-synch the windows as well. As far as the locking sytem goes, try removing the backseat and checking all of the connections at the PSE pump. It will be the box looking thing in the battery compartment, sometimes wrapped in a felt like material. Often times the little plastic tubes pop off or develop holes. The overhead light is probably just a fuse or burned out bulb as previously mentioned. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 PM

1998 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic
Figured I would update the thread for anyone that searches similar issues. The locking issue was a door close sensor that had broken and fallen in the door. Cheap off Autohauz. The interior bulbs were all missing, so i replaced them and now have lighting. The condensation is the result of a broken and now missing metal clip, I will fabricate one from the existing metal clip on the other headlamp. Sunroof just need a sync.