E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

What do you think of this ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
What do you think of this ????

I originally want a TV/Monitor (for GPS) for my car, however, the idea of the command center turn me off (CD based for GPS, no TV tuner), and also the cost is a bit too much.
After doing some research, I decided to go w/ a motorized LCD monitor. Further search, I ended up with the Clarion TVX6563. THanks to eBay, I was able to get a new unit for $300. Diversity antenna cost another $10. The antenna adaptor kit (Japanese-German car) run another $15.

I picked the Clarion because of the following reasons:

* 1 box unit, with TV tuner and FM Modulator built in. If you ever open the center console, you will find out that it has very little room to allow a separate TV tuner and video brain box (like the pioneer or alpine).
* The monitor came out far enough so that the clearance it provide allow the unit to fit in, to allow the storage door to be completely closed, and the monitor can stay fully up once it came out. Only the Eclipse and the Clarion monitor have clearance to support this type of installation on the W210.
* It's easy to bypass the e-Brake unit (allow TV/DVD/what-ever to be viewed even when the car is moving).
* The look of the clarion fit right into the color schema of the Benz dash. The color buttons of the Alpine or Eclipse wouldn't fit well.
* Quality of the Clarion. There're lot of monitor w/ TV tuner built in on eBay, however, they look cheap, and have lousy tv tuner.

I then set out and begin my project.

* Open the center console
* Extend the wire for the cigarette lighter (once the TV come in, it'll pull the wire, so it won't reach the ligher).
* Open the side panel (under the doors) on both side and run cable for the antenna.
* Install the TV.
* Connect cable. For the e-Brake wire, connect it to the ground (that simple). The guy at El&Ed give me lot of BS for it.
* Watch TV.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic8.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the close up spec of the Clarion
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic9.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When done, I can just watch TV or DVD. Thanks to the built-in FM modulator, I can use the car stereo system for audio, sound just fine.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic3.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's how the monitor look when it's deployed/retract. The clearance between the monitor and the gear knob is 1/8", pretty close huh ?. Look very cool to see it deploy.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic6.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's how it look when it's close/retract. The look just fit right in (I once see somewhere that somebody take out the OEM stereo, and replace w/ a SILVER in-dash motorized monitor/CD-player, I think it destroys the look of the car !!!).
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic4.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's the really close up. Lot of people would think this's the OEM option :-) (Like Mercedes would love to have lawyer go after them for in-dash tv !)
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic5.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of course, the door/cover can be closed, to return the interio to its elegant look
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic7.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By the way, here's how the antenna look from the back. Almost non-detectable. Quite a pain to run the wire though, but worth it, TV signal is super w/ 4 channel antenna.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-pic1.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's how I look, after 4 hours, and some cuts :-)
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-bios_family_bart.gif  
Old 07-02-2003, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
that looks awesome! Wish i could of gotten it for 300$
Old 07-02-2003, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Wow! Nice job! Does this also have the option for Navigation? Also, are you still using the factory head unit with the CD changer and is it running through the system without any problems? Thanks...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s500 sport
That looks really good. Thanks for sharing. So everything is contained behind the console? I especially like the fact that is totally hides behind the door. Are you planning on adding navigation? What will you use? Alpine?

Will you be adding DVD?

thanks
Great job.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jimmy

Yes, this unit have an AV input for other source of Video/Audio. I hook up the mobile VCR for testing, and the audio/video came out perfect.
The unit has built-in FM modulator, so w/ the antenna adaptor, I was able to still using the head unit, CD Changer, and radio. The audio from the TV/Video source came through radio channel. Since the modulator is built-in, there's no engine noise or noise that lot of external modulator often cause.
Next, I'm going to hook up the Pioneer GPS (AVIC-9DVD). It's a DVD based GPS, and can play DVD too. What I like about it is its capability to display map in 3-D view (bird view). Most other GPS unit on the market can only map in 2-D view. The pioneer has 6 display option (turn by turn like Audi, map like majority, 3-D view, and combination of map/3-D and turn by turn....). It also has PCMCI slot for data card.

I'm attaching picture of how it looks.

Originally posted by jimmydagreek
Wow! Nice job! Does this also have the option for Navigation? Also, are you still using the factory head unit with the CD changer and is it running through the system without any problems? Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this ????-nav-sys910dvd_big.jpg  
Old 07-02-2003, 12:08 PM

2003 s500 sport
Excellent, keep us posted.
I am planning similiar project but it will incorporate incar PC with wireless internet. This gets a little tricky with displays because you need an lcd that can display computer screen as well as regular video input.

There is one unit I am considering for this.
http://www.xenarc.com/

touchscreen, and great quality with many inputs.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:48 PM

E420
Zam2000,

That looks really good on you MB. How much $ total did you spend on everything? I would like to have one on my 97 E420 as well. I am planning to get one on either Ebay or somewhere that's cheap. I would appreciate if you can set me photos or steps on how to set this up. Thanks! It really looks awsome!
Old 07-07-2003, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spend $335 total:

* $300 for the TV (eBay)
* $20 for the antenna adaptor (ask for german-japanese FM modulator antenna adaptor at El&Ed)
* $15 for the diversity 4-channel TV antenna (eBay).

As for pictures of step-by-step, I would hate to take my car apart, just to take picture. However, if you really need them, then I'd do it. Description of step by step is as follow:

1. Take out the center console wood cover (pull the plastic ring around the shift knob, then pull the wood piece out). Unplug the wires when do this.
2. There're two screws right under the ash-tray, unscrew them
3. Pull out the ash-tray, unplug the wire
4. Take out the storage compactment (you'll install TV into this one). What you do is push your hand in, wrap it to the top on the storage, you will see a little clip, push it and pull the storage compactment out at the same time.
5. Use the key, pull out the stereo.
6. Connect the wire to coresponding ones in your car. You'll need to extend the wire for the lighter adaptor, since once you install the TV, it'll put the wire on this part, and you won't be able to connect it to the lighter. Also, connect the antenna adaptor.
7. Install the TV. On the storage compactment, use a screw driver, gently open the front, and push it, the compactment will detach itself from the frame.
8. Install the antenna to the back window, take out the backseat and run the cable to the front of the car. Hide the cable under the panels as you run it.
9. Put everything together, and you're set :-)

I notice that you live in Southern California too. If you really need help, and I can afford them, then I'll try my best to help.

Originally posted by watercourt668
Zam2000,

That looks really good on you MB. How much $ total did you spend on everything? I would like to have one on my 97 E420 as well. I am planning to get one on either Ebay or somewhere that's cheap. I would appreciate if you can set me photos or steps on how to set this up. Thanks! It really looks awsome!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:29 AM

'99 E420
Man these units are hard to find these days.. anyone seen them around its a perfect setup in my opinion
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ATL_E420
Man these units are hard to find these days.. anyone seen them around its a perfect setup in my opinion
There's one on eBay right now

Ebay for Clarion TVX5653
Old 12-15-2005, 03:23 PM

'99 E420
Wow I just realized Im in a 2 year old post its still cool and thanks for finding that I am buying it right now. You know the part numbers for the jap-german modulator? and what is that thing for? The antena I am sure I can find on the internet but I searched for the modulator and didnt find anything. Also does this just wire to power and thats it right since the sound is through FM radio?

Last edited by ATL_E420; 12-15-2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's called the German-Japanese antenna adaptor, cost about $10 at BestBuys (car audio department)

Yep, power wire is just like regular stereo (+/_, ignitor, light, 4 wires total. For the one that suppose to be wired to parking brake, just connect it to ground. This will by pass the video-on-driving blocking.

The FM modulator is already built into the unit, you don't have to buy anything (except antenna)

f you want to hook up w/ DVD, you can connect to the video/audio aux port in front of the unit, or get an adaptor and connect to the Clarion Video/Audio port in the back of the unit (look much nicer, no wire). Search around for better deal

http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/...es/CCA389.html

Wow I just realized Im in a 2 year old post its still cool and thanks for finding that I am buying it right now. You know the part numbers for the jap-german modulator? and what is that thing for? The antena I am sure I can find on the internet but I searched for the modulator and didnt find anything. Also does this just wire to power and thats it right since the sound is through FM radio?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Per the Clarion tuner, do you get good tv reception? I've played around with other TV tuners with diverstiy antennas in my mini-van, and did not have good luck with the reception.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010

I found an antenna adapter at WalMart. It was around $10 too.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rob_fed
Per the Clarion tuner, do you get good tv reception? I've played around with other TV tuners with diverstiy antennas in my mini-van, and did not have good luck with the reception.
Picture is not cable or sat quality, but definitely head and shoulder above most TV tuner out there, quite acceptable pix & sound The problem with UHF/VHF is that you would never get good quality signal on the move.

I've tried several TV tuner, and this's the only one that I found acceptable.