E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Horn, High Beams, Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes E320 4 MATIC
Horn, High Beams, Turn Signal

I have a 2001 E320 4Matic, A few days ago my horn stopped working and figured it was a fuse or relay and didn't think much of it. The other night as I entered the car, I noticed that the right turn signal and high beam indicators were on. I started the car and as soon as I wood use the high beams or use the right turn signal, the engine would die and I would get a Display malfunction error. Turned off everything, waited a bit and restarted the car and was able to drive off no problems, but as soon as i would attempt again with the high beams or turn signal the engine would cut off again. I drove my car home without any issues. I noticed that when I turn on the lights that the right side headlamp is very dim. I checked the ground wires and they seem fine, I changed a bulb that seemed burnt, played around a bit with the wires; and horn, high beams, and turn signal seemed to work fine but only for a bit. By coincidence even my right brake light does not work, even with brand new socket and bulb. Can it be a relay problem or can it be a problem with the wire harnesses? Has anyone else had a similar issue. Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
when symptoms all converge as if all hell broke loose and isn't making sense,
my first thought is to investigate the center of the universe: beneath the rear
seat, in the battery well.

this is where a large fuse cluster, power source, and the PSE pump reside....and
where water tends to drain and collect. if moisture is retained, soaked the
foam surrounding the pump, etc, funky nonsensical things can happen.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Vinnymart, I think you need to look more carefully at the earth (ground) for that side.

This happened to me...and when I would use the lights, it would almost kill the engine. The earth point was rusty (and actually came away from the body). As soon as I reattached the earth securely everything worked.

This is probably just useful information for everyone else, since the OP has not looked in since he started the thread...strange.