E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Could failed LCA bushings cause negative caster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Could failed LCA bushings cause negative caster?

I've been hunting down a tire wear problem for a while. Tires end up getting noisy within 6-8 months and wear on the inside edges of all four tires. They also scallop which can eventually be felt. In the past 12 months I've replaced the LCA ball joints, replaced the shocks at all four corners, had it aligned at two different places and they both saw that everything was OK except for the bad negative caster on the driver side. The last alignment also found that the front hydraulic LCA bushings were completely broken (they put a chassis bar in there and showed me. It moved like it was made out of chewing gum).

As I change those front LCA bushings, I was wondering if there is something else I should lookout for, that typically wears or could cause that negative caster on the one side.

I may do it at a shop where they can also check the frame and report back. Or I may do it myself to save the $$.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 E320
Short answer, yes

LCA Bushings could cause a caster problem, but caster us a 'pull' adjustment, not really a wear adjustment. Could be the tires you're running.

Also, LCA Bushings are kindof a beast to do without the special tools. I wouldn't attempt it, and I've done bunches of them.

It could also be the subframe pushed back, but that would be pretty abnormal.

Good Luck
Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600
Checked your toe in? toe-out would make the tires wear on the inside and the car feel darty. on the rear too? check it with a tape measure across the front and the backs of the wheels when pointing straight ahead. should be ~1/16" in on the front.

bad bushings would let the suspension pickup points wander causing all kinds of changes to caster camber and toe.

Hope its fixed

Cheers