E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help! AMG 18 Monoblock for 2000 E320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 E320
Hi guys..
-- here's the new look... 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Nitto 555
-- you are right... I WILL HAVE TO LOWER IT !
Attached Thumbnails Help! AMG 18 Monoblock for 2000 E320?-106_0650.jpg  
Old 08-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320
--Different angle
Attached Thumbnails Help! AMG 18 Monoblock for 2000 E320?-106_0649.jpg  
Old 08-14-2003, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Actually doesn't look all that bad but can be improved further with lowering. You won't regret lowering it as it will greatly improve the car's stance, ride and steering. However, make sure your suspension guy is aware of the larger than std AMG recommended tires that you're using when considering the lowering kit. I trust you are aware that OEM AMG's have factory rolled fenders, so if you go too low using the aftermarket lowering kits, something might rub (your front tires are the same as the US spec AMG size and your rears are wider and slightly thicker than the AMG tires). Good luck! My $0.02.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320
Originally posted by Whitey
Actually doesn't look all that bad but can be improved further with lowering. You won't regret lowering it as it will greatly improve the car's stance, ride and steering. However, make sure your suspension guy is aware of the larger than std AMG recommended tires that you're using when considering the lowering kit. I trust you are aware that OEM AMG's have factory rolled fenders, so if you go too low using the aftermarket lowering kits, something might rub (your front tires are the same as the US spec AMG size and your rears are wider and slightly thicker than the AMG tires). Good luck! My $0.02.
Whitey,
do you have any pics of your ride?... I just installed the eibach.. I have about one finger clearance for the front... but the rear is too low for my taste... about 1/2 finger... too low for me... how do I raise it up?

thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Precisely my experience when I had my springs installed, mtdceo. I was beginning to think I was ripped off with the wrong set of springs! Only difference is I have virtually no vertical clearance on the rears (probably cos of differences in my Advantgarde shocks compared to yours).

Instead of raising the rears, I dropped the fronts with a #1 spring pad (the thinnest) but I still think the rear is a bit low compared to the front. Depending on what size rear spring pads you have, you may be able to raise it a little with a thicker one (#5 maybe?) but don't expect a big chane. Given you have fatter tires than me, I wouldn't suggest lowering the front too much further (unless you're prepared to swap the front tires for 235 or 225's like mine....again).

BTW, pics of my ride are in that large W210 Picture Thread started by Victorious (page 14 - too busy to do you a link, sorry!) - there's a side view that shows the lowering.

(kinda expected you to have looked at those pics before embarking on your project...... )
Old 08-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320
Originally posted by Whitey
Precisely my experience when I had my springs installed, mtdceo. I was beginning to think I was ripped off with the wrong set of springs! Only difference is I have virtually no vertical clearance on the rears (probably cos of differences in my Advantgarde shocks compared to yours).

Instead of raising the rears, I dropped the fronts with a #1 spring pad (the thinnest) but I still think the rear is a bit low compared to the front. Depending on what size rear spring pads you have, you may be able to raise it a little with a thicker one (#5 maybe?) but don't expect a big chane. Given you have fatter tires than me, I wouldn't suggest lowering the front too much further (unless you're prepared to swap the front tires for 235 or 225's like mine....again).

BTW, pics of my ride are in that large W210 Picture Thread started by Victorious (page 14 - too busy to do you a link, sorry!) - there's a side view that shows the lowering.

(kinda expected you to have looked at those pics before embarking on your project...... )
Yeah... I have 245 front 275 rear... it looks even lowered..
Well, you live and learn :-))

I saw your ride I looked good... kinda look like mine now )
here it is...
I will probably raise it back up.. using #1 pads only...

the wifie seems to like the original ride
Attached Thumbnails Help! AMG 18 Monoblock for 2000 E320?-nl.jpg  
Old 08-18-2003, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Lookin' juuust fine dude!

A marked improvement on the previous look. However, with the fatter tires u might find the rears and fronts will rub the edge of the fender occassionally with these springs, especially if you decide to put on some AMG bumpers. Mine certainly do but luckily only mildly (scrapping some paint off the edge of my rear arch part of the bumper - not sure how much damage it'll do with your tires.....).

Somehow my fronts look higher than your's even after I've lowered it with the #1 pads. I undertand MB actually lowered the entire stock car by an 1"+ as part of the facelift in 99 (i.e. yours).

As for the ride, I think it's less floaty without being bumpy and turning at high speeds isn't as wobbly. I'm sure your wife will learn to enjoy the new feeling oneday.......

BTW, raising is with a higher # pad not lower, i.e. #1. IMO the higher rear would make the car look more aggressive (which I like - I just couldn't be bothered to mess around with the suspension anymore )

Do post some pics of ride after you've raised the rear and give us some feedback on the ride (I suspect the rear will be less harsh) - I might then be motivated.......