E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

The dreaded cat rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 4matic
The dreaded cat rattle

I am a new member and I know this is a common issue, I just wanted to ask a few opinions on the best course of action for this fix. It's almost as if there is too much information about this.

I have a 2002 e320 4matic sedan, with 87,000 miles. I have the rear "cat" (resonator) rattle. I know for a fact it's the rears that are rattling and I suspect the fronts are going. I put the car on ramps, and when the front was up it still rattled, but when the back was up the rattle ceased. It only happens when I let the car warm up and it is idling or when I am stopped in drive, such as in traffic at a red light. I've not noticed it when I am driving slow and I have no check engine lights or any codes yet. The car seems to have a slight hesitation when I step on the throttle, but that could be a number of issues aside from the cats, to me it seems more like a fuel filter or injector. Perhaps I am way off, I am not a mechanic, simply passionate about certain cars. I also am firmly convinced it is not a heat shield, bracket or anything like that. It's the rear resonators, on both sides.

Now the issue is well known, I just was curious about how to stop the rattle. I realize I should replace the entire exhaust system to be on the safe side and that would def solve the issue. The problem there is that I don't have the money at this time to fix it properly.

So I suppose I am asking what is the best way to stop the rattle without replacing the entire exhaust? I could cut the resonators out and put the aftermarket ones in, pretty reasonably priced, but wouldn't that just be a temp fix? The reason the rears are rattling is because the fronts are going bad.. or so that is what I am lead to believe? I could drill a hole into the resonator and get the same result, minus the couple hundred bucks, correct? I've also heard of people beating on the resonators with hammers to break the pieces up and then have the pieces come out the exhaust.. but wouldn't this clog the muffler?

Like I said I know what has to be done and what should be done, but I can't afford to do that at this time. So I'm looking for a "quick fix" that will make it not rattle until the time I can afford the new exhaust. (couple of months). I just wasn't sure the best way to do it.

The car just passed inspection too so I am not too concerned about emissions, and I have an entire year until I have to worry about that, in which time I will def have the exhaust replaced. Any suggestions for what to do as a temp fix?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 E320
Replacing the cats with your aftermarket ones will fix your problem
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM

e430 4matic
i had the same problem with my 2000 e430 4matic and i cut the rear cats off and put some test pipe in there it fixed the problem but thats only temp it reduces some low end horsepower but like i said its only temp
Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM

2002 E320 4matic
ok cool thanks guys, the rattle hasn't been too bad recently so I am not too worried, I am saving for the full exhaust replacement. If it gets too much to take I will put in the aftermarket ones.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
I took my downpipes off and hammered a pipe through the rear cats and extracted it piece by piece. I got everything out and gave it a good shake to make sure nothing will get stuck in the muffler. I reinstalled everything after. No more noise and and passed smog with clean numbers.