E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need some help with a new to me 98' e320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320, 87' BMW 325is
Need some help with a new to me 98' e320

Hi guys, I am new to the forum but I have TONS of questions for you guys about the 98' e320 I just bought and I hope you can help me. I honestly don't even know where to begin? Right now I'd say the biggest issues this car has is 1) The sunroof doesn't open at all. I press the button and can kinda hear a little click but nothing happens. I've checked the fuses and those are good so I'm not sure where else to look? 2) the shifter will go into park, reverse, neutral and drive but I can not get it to go lower into the manual gears? I have ABSOLUTELY no idea why?? 3) The BAS/ASR light is on, on my dash. I tried going lock to lock with the steering wheel to reset it but that didn't work? 4) Cruise control does not work at all. Lastly the W/S button on my middle console does nothing when pressed?? no clue there either? Could anyone shed some light on these issues for me and please help me get things going and working correctly?

Thank you!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 Mercedes Benz E430
The sunroof motor should be bad there, since you are saying that you do hear clicking noise, so that means that the electrical supply is going to the sunroof but the motor is not sliding the glass back and forth. Should be an intermediate fix and the cost of course should be around $300 - $400, but if you can find a reputable shop that can do it under that price then consider yourself lucky.

2. Have no clue about the shifter, might be the shift linkage gone bad??

3. Something is bothering you antilock breaking system, might be a worn out breaks and i have even seen cases when the BAS/ASR light comes on for a gone light inside the dash board. So no clue there either. Sorry

4. Do you know how to work the cruise control? Since you are saying that you are new to the car, you might not be aware of how it works because i ran into the same situation when i bought my 1999 E430. Read the manual and if it still doesnt do what it is suppose to do then it might be the cruise control operation arm itself thats gone bad.

5. Ahh... the Weather/ Standard button!! when you are driving under normal weather conditions, normal road condition such as bright, sunny day and on tar road you should put it in Standard mode. If it starts to rain or snow or you are on the beach shore where there is sand and lots of it, you should put it in Weather. You will not be able to tell the difference at first but when in Weather mode your gear ratios are low which means that your car will change gears slowly and neatly (rather than in standard mode your gears will change quickely and to give you more comfort or give you are racing exhaust sound depends on where on the RPM your automatic shifts) and when in Weather mode your car turns on the safety braking. Which is useful for rainy days and you will notice the difference by when you come to a stop light if you press on the brake pedal and once come down to like lets say 5mph and you let go of the break pedal, your car will automatically come to a full stop and stays there even if you are on a slightly inclined hill or road. But in Standard mode if you come to 5mph and let go of the break pedal you will start rolling and pick up speed in you are on the top of the hill or you will start rolling backwards if you are on the inclined road. Again the W/S button will not make a very significant different but the difference are more towards safety when on the Weather (W) mode

Before you going to a shop and start fixing anything always come on to the forums and check here and also go to a shop where there is a good scanning machine available to first scan your car and get the codes. The advise for you for the BAS/ASR lights, cruise control, the shifter and the sunroof is that go get a scan first. It is not expensive at all, depending on the place you go of course. What the MB dealer uses is DAS Xentry scanning tool and where i live they are asking for about $350 and my local import auto shop does not have the DAS Xentry but they have the second best scanning tool and they are asking about an hour worth of labor money which is $95. So yea before you do anything GO GET A SCAN FIRST!! and good luck
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
I would bet that your BAS/ASR light and the problem with the cruse control, are related to a bad brake light switch. Your brake lights can still work as the switch performs several functions. A number of folks have said that the switch should not be an aftermarket switch. The Mercedes switch only costs about $18.

The W/S switch causes the car to start out in second gear when in the W position to help control wheel spin in slippery conditions.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM

1999 Mercedes Benz E430
Thx nelbur !! I was actually researching about this all night last night and I found the exact same thing for the BAS/ASR lights.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM

1999 Mercedes Benz E430
But getting a scan would be a good thing right?? Won't it tell you what's exactly is bad??
Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 PM

E320, 87' BMW 325is
I tried calling for a price to scan it today but missed them, they were closed for the weekend. I'll let ya's know come Tuesday since Monday is a holiday their not open until then.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 E320
1) unfortunately, the sunroof is a pretty common problem for us
2) have the same problem with the shifter, but don't have the time right now to do it. Here's a link on how to fix it:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...t-shift-d.html
3) I had the same problem. If your fuses are good, replace the brake switch. I have an extra if you want to buy it from me
4) cruise control problem is linked to the BAS/ASR/ brake switch problem
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 PM

E320, 87' BMW 325is
Originally Posted by siopaolover
1) unfortunately, the sunroof is a pretty common problem for us
2) have the same problem with the shifter, but don't have the time right now to do it. Here's a link on how to fix it:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...t-shift-d.html
3) I had the same problem. If your fuses are good, replace the brake switch. I have an extra if you want to buy it from me
4) cruise control problem is linked to the BAS/ASR/ brake switch problem
I might take you up on that switch depending on how much your looking to get for it plus shipping to 03104? BTW thanks for the help and I love the 02! Did the brake switch correct your BAS/ASR problem? Also any clue what the solution is for the sunroof issue?

Thanks again

Last edited by slikster; 02-19-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 E320
Originally Posted by slikster
I might take you up on that switch depending on how much your looking to get for it plus shipping to 03104? BTW thanks for the help and I love the 02! Did the brake switch correct your BAS/ASR problem? Also any clue what the solution is for the sunroof issue?

Thanks again
I can give it to you for $10 shipped. It's still brand new. It's the aftermarket OEM replacement off of autohausaz, not some crappy Autozone one lol.

What I found out was that my problem wasn't the brake switch, it was simply 2 blown fuses in my headlight switch
and honestly, I'm not entirely sure about the sunroof
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
The sunroof may just need syncing. Push the switch forward (close) and hold for a few seconds.