E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

forced tranny/engine mating or badly seated TC on 722.6xx

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
forced tranny/engine mating or badly seated TC on 722.6xx

i come here for advice on my 722.6xx (out of my 02 cl500) since it seems the e class owners are the only ones that get into these transmissions themselves.

doing an engine swap, i think i mightve pulled the torque converter off of its tranny spline when attaching it to the flywheel, then proceeded to force the tranny and engine together until everything lined up. thought i did a good job seating the TC. heard two "clunk/clank" noises while forcing it but i noticed i did some damage to one of the female posts on the tranny (where the tranny and engine line up on each side in the hole). but it's still usable

took apart the assembly, engine looks fine, turns by hand, no problems with flywheel

transmission looks fine, turns by hand although after pulling it apart again i noticed some small metal flakes on the tranny splines? but both splines looked good and functioned as they should

torque converter looks fine from what i can tell and spins slowly when i turn flex disc by hand on the tranny

if by some chance i did break something forcing everything together, what would/could it be? ive heard its common to break the oil pump in this particuliar situation? any help would be great as im trying to get my daily driver running

should i tear open the 722.6 to see if i damaged the oil pump? if so what am i looking for exactly?

cliffs-
-21 year old with no engine swap experience gets ballsy
-forces tranny and engine together when they didnt go together smooth
-heard two "clunk/clank" noises but could have come from elsewhere
pulled everything apart and cant find any signs of visual damage anywhere around tranny splines/ TC or the engine but minor metal flakes on tranny spline
-now worried about realizing i have a bad tranny or TC after i finish my engine swap