E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

remove 4matic front wheels driveshaft ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e320 4matic
remove 4matic front wheels driveshaft ?

1999 e320 4matic---i like to find out where the vibration is coming from. i had checked everything..flex disc, rims, tires, balancing, cv joints..etc etc. nothing but the vibration insist. im suspecting that its the front driveshaft from the transfercase to front axle. is it doable to remove this shaft and drive the car to see if the vibration disappear ? to test that way, will it hurt or damage the car? i know american made suv 4 wheels are fine that way but not sure if MB would.. considering its complex and sensitivity of getting screwed.

p.s. sorry about my grammar as it's english is secondary. thanks a bunch.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You do not have to go to that extream----simply put the car on a lift and watch the rotation of the shaft!!Very simple!!Yes it will cost money!!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM

1999 e320 4matic
what you mean is start the engine and put the gear in drive and run it on the lift ? i just want to take off the shaft and drive the car on the road to see if the vibration will... fk, ya know what i mean.. ? my concern is that if i do this , will it screw the other thing or no harm ? need straight answer, if not dont bother to post.

Last edited by deafbenz; 04-13-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM

1999 e320 4matic
anybody..

can give me the answer ?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 PM

2001 e430 4matic
To all contemplating, or forced to replace the front drive shaft. Please read this:
2001 E430, 4matic ~90,000milles.
OEM universals are not serviceable. It means that when the bearings are worn, the whole shaft needs to be replaced. In my case, the loud noise (humming) and vibration forced me to visit the shop. The mechanic rather quickly found the problem. I could see the interior of (sealed for life) bearing as yoke started to chip away. When I grabbed the shaft I could feel the play. Sourced the replacement; $1,960 CDN. Price in US was equally high. Ouch. Checked aftermarket. $320 + free shipping.That's better. 2 days(!) later part was waiting for me in Bufallo, NY. 15 min trip across the river ( I live in Canada) and part was in my hands. The universals had same bolt pattern as OEM part but were serviceable. Great so. Replacement took 1.5 hr. Not bad so far. THEN THE DISCOVERY. The O.D. of yokes was slightly bigger. When rotating, The front one would interfere with transmission/engine aluminum case (read struck, read fracture, read possibly an astronomical repair bill!). The kid, sorry, mechanic's helper, in all the the excitement spotted the potential problem. He rotated it manually, not using the engine and confirmed his suspicion. After additional 30 min. of grinding, fortunately the case had enough meat to allow for that, the car was back on the road. Car runs great ever since.
FYI

Last edited by gonguj; 02-01-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: missing words
Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 AM

2000 E320 AWD
This thread is about 10 month old so maybe 'deafbenz' found the problem. Hey guy, you still there? Tell the forum how you made out.

My $.02: there would be two gigantic open holes in the transfer case once the axle shafts were removed, oil all over the place, so running the car that way would be impractical.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM

1999 e320 4matic
two big holes ? no, what i mean is to disconncet the shaft outside of the transfer case. nothing to open the hole...!!! still didnt get the straight answer. if you cant give straight answer or straight question, dont bother to post, please. jeez.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM

1999 e320 4matic
Originally Posted by gonguj
To all contemplating, or forced to replace the front drive shaft. Please read this:
2001 E430, 4matic ~90,000milles.
OEM universals are not serviceable. It means that when the bearings are worn, the whole shaft needs to be replaced. In my case, the loud noise (humming) and vibration forced me to visit the shop. The mechanic rather quickly found the problem. I could see the interior of (sealed for life) bearing as yoke started to chip away. When I grabbed the shaft I could feel the play. Sourced the replacement; $1,960 CDN. Price in US was equally high. Ouch. Checked aftermarket. $320 + free shipping.That's better. 2 days(!) later part was waiting for me in Bufallo, NY. 15 min trip across the river ( I live in Canada) and part was in my hands. The universals had same bolt pattern as OEM part but were serviceable. Great so. Replacement took 1.5 hr. Not bad so far. THEN THE DISCOVERY. The O.D. of yokes was slightly bigger. When rotating, The front one would interfere with transmission/engine aluminum case (read struck, read fracture, read possibly an astronomical repair bill!). The kid, sorry, mechanic's helper, in all the the excitement spotted the potential problem. He rotated it manually, not using the engine and confirmed his suspicion. After additional 30 min. of grinding, fortunately the case had enough meat to allow for that, the car was back on the road. Car runs great ever since.
FYI
thank you for that info. i checked for any play on the shaft, no play there. been driving the car awhile with same vibration with only slight increasing vibration but still the same. then i noticed whenever i reduced the speed the vibration came back, especially when i started to brake. i think it's something to do with brake system. i will dive into this problem next month cuz i've got so many things to do on my hands. again, thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E320 4matic wagon
i really wanted someone to answer the question. i waited almost a year and now finally i done it. i removed the front drive shaft. and i found that the rear u joint is destroyed. i guess trying to tow my truck in the snow with this car was not a good idea and taking it to the racing track not a good idea. the surprise that this drive shaft cant be repaired and no shop would wild a new u joint. no used one in stock, no rebuild and stealership wanted over $2000 for a new one ...ridicules...i ordered one from junk yard for $400. but to answer your question...NO the car wont move an inch without the front drive shaft. when you put it in gear it will just rev as if its in N. so i'm stranded until the drive-shaft arrive from the usa...i'm from Canada
The following users liked this post:
edolli (07-15-2021)
Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM

'99 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by zaidtoronto
i really wanted someone to answer the question. i waited almost a year and now finally i done it. i removed the front drive shaft. and i found that the rear u joint is destroyed. i guess trying to tow my truck in the snow with this car was not a good idea and taking it to the racing track not a good idea. the surprise that this drive shaft cant be repaired and no shop would wild a new u joint. no used one in stock, no rebuild and stealership wanted over $2000 for a new one ...ridicules...i ordered one from junk yard for $400. but to answer your question...NO the car wont move an inch without the front drive shaft. when you put it in gear it will just rev as if its in N. so i'm stranded until the drive-shaft arrive from the usa...i'm from Canada

For 2000$ you go check autotrader and buy a beat up one and use it for parts. You never know what else can "go"